need a good marina that does winterize/dewinterize in Silver Spring, Maryland ?

misenlai

Recruit
anyone can suggest a good marina that does winterize/dewinterize in Silver Spring, Maryland ? I'm new to here. Appreciate it.

Thanks,

Jack

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard.

One I can think of is Misenial Marina. Nothing magical about winterizing and de-winterizing is even easier.

What boat are you asking about?

misenlai

Recruit
Welcome aboard.

One I can think of is Misenial Marina. Nothing magical about winterizing and de-winterizing is even easier.

What boat are you asking about?

just got an 18" 2001 stingray 180 LS. I'm definitely new to boating/sailing. I'm looking for an honest and cheap marina to de-winterize and basic inspection so I don't get ripped off. Also, I would love any advices you guys can give..

We'll probably cruising around the river and do some rockfish catching

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
If the boat was "winterized" properly then getting it back into the water will be easy. We can guide you through the process of what to check and it should take about 20 minutes to do it all.

If the fluids were changed before storage such as the outdrive & engine and the block/cooling system were drained it will go FAST!

My process is to insure all hose clamps are tight, the engine drain is in and closed, the oil levels (outdrive and engine) are correct......... install a charged battery, fresh fuel and GO!

I would say Do It Yourself! The $$$ you save will be spent on fuel and the engine knowledge you acquire will improve your boating skills.

Last edited:

rengnath

Cadet
+1 on doing it yourself. I purchased my first boat last March and the whole maintenance process can be intimidating. Pick up a service manual for your drivetrain and start reading. I purchased a Seloc for 2001-2013 Mercruisers for $18 on Amazon. In addition, there are some very good videos on YouTube (take each one with a grain of salt, as there are some not-so-good ones as well).

With basic knowledge and tools, I've been able to change the oil, winterize, remove the stern drive, replace seals on the upper unit, and the water impeller in the lower. Seriously, dig in to it yourself if you can. The things you will learn are invaluable, and the money you will save can be spent on more stuff for the boat.

Personally, after I winterized my 3.0 last season I can't believe people would pay to have it done. On the 3.0, it's only 2 drain plugs.