Getting a title for a old boat that was given to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Getting a title for a old boat that was given to me.

Thanks for the help everyone,especially you bomar 76.I'm gonna go the route you told me.The man who owned this boat with the title is dead. Thats why it was sold at a state auction in tennesee,It was Loretta Lynn's manager.

gatorboaterUF

Seaman

some times the legal way is just a pain i dunno what hoops they make you jump trough to get a title if the title holder is dead and from another state you might be SOL if you wanna go by the book some times it sounds like you guys in other states have such a hard time with that stuff here in florida i guess they are more layed back like when i got my trailer registerd all i had to do was say hey i have a trailer and they gave me a tag

Trailbum

Seaman

Great topic!!! I stopped by the forum to ask this SAME question!!! I have an aluminum 12-footer up at my camp in Maine, previous owner of the boat has been dead for years. I don't even know what his name was, as he was only known by his nickname (kind of like us on this forum)!!! I'd like to drag it down here to West Virginia to use on the Potomac, but hate to go through all that effort if I won't be able to obtain a title..... When I went to WV DMV to title and register my cars, the ladies working there were a little LESS than pleasant.... I don't get the feeling that they'd be much help if I showed up there with a boat and NO paperwork.... My best course of action might be to simply find another 12-footer (with paperwork) locally... Yes, No????

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

You said "state" auction and I interpreted that to mean you bought it from a state. I think what you meant was "estate" auction. <br /><br />In Tennessee, registration of a boat is necessary with Tennessee Wildlife Resource Agency, but they don't issue title, only numbers and Owners Certificate wallet card.<br /><br />Also in Tennessee, registration of a boat trailer is not required, hence no title. Travel in adjoining states without a tag on it is legal under certain bordering states' reciprocal agreements.

Boatbuoy Thanks a million,I contacted the tennessee wildlife resource agency and told them what had happened and they asked me to send them the hull number and the registration number on the boat and they checked it out and said all was good and they are sending me a registration and a cover letter for the boat so I can get a title now.I also wanna thank everyone else for trying to help me out with this mess.

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

See?<br />Going through the proper channels and getting things done legally isn't really that difficult.<br />All it takes is a little real effort.<br />I'm glad it all worked out for you!

artburr

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am shocked at all of the ILLEGAL suggestions. Proper registration is a must to protect you, the boat owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.