• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting a title for a old boat that was given to me.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting a title for a old boat that was given to me.

Hello all, I recently bought a motor and outdrive from a guy that was on a 20' 77 sleekcraft speedboat. He gave me the boat and trailer with it cause he had no title for it.He said he bought it at a state auction and they never sent him the title. Is there any way I can get this boat titled? ITs still a solid boat just needs restored in some areas. I'm from ohio and I've tried to get a title for another boat that someone gave me once before and they said the last person with title has to file for lost title.Any help would be appreciated.Can any of you guys from other states get titles for boats if they didn't have one when you got it? Thanks again for any help.

Re: Getting a title for a old boat that was given to me.

took and old jon boat once that the title for had been long lost and applyed for a home made boat title it worked dunno if that would work in your case but the only proof they have of the boat ever havin a title is the HIN on the top right of the transome when i did the transome on my cobia i ended up removing the HIN and had to apply for a new HIN and title using the home made boat angle that could be something to think about in your caseassuming you aquired it legit i don't see any harm in cheating the system

Comment

Just get any numbers you can off of what you have, and go to the DMV with them..they run a search, and will set you up with what you need. Don't forget the checkbook...

Comment

He said he bought it at a state auction and they never sent him the title. Probably because they didn't have one. Confiscated property at state auctions rarely have titles but the buyer is given paperwork that will assist in getting a title. You need at least a bill of sale from the seller showing the hull number and you paid $1.00 for the boat.Contact a lawyer and find out what the law is for your state because it varies from state to state.

Comment

Last summer I gave my neighbor a boat that I acquired from a friend for helping him swap trailers and motors around. Anyway the transferable registration was long gone. because I owned it for over a year, all I had to do was fill out a form that told where I got the boat and why the registration was gone. My neighbor received a non-transferable registration and should receive a transferable one soon if it does not come up as being stolen or having a lien against it.
          OMC

Comment

You should contact the DMV or DNR or whoever registers or titles boats in your state and ask them how to obtain a title and registration. Same for the trailer.Consider that a boat given or sold to you without documentation may be have been stolen at some point.
            Ron

2000 Camano Troll
            North Charleston, SC

Comment

Broadway Title Companywww.broadwaytitle.com800-464-3222Have you cc ready, it ain't cheap.For boats you must call for a quote.Doubt a 1977 boat would be worth it.BTW here is info from their website:Also Note: STOLEN, SALVAGE AND ANY VEHICLES WITH A LIEN CANNOT BE HANDLED THROUGH US. We will not take any part in these type of fraudulent transactions. You MUST check with your state to see if vehicle is already titled or if any loans are recorded.Due to the Added Expenses from doing business with the following states, please add an additional $75.00 to the quote. We apologize for any inconvenience. ARKANSAS, DELAWARE, KANSAS, KENTUCKY, OHIO, NORTH CAROLINA, IOWA, MINNESOTA, NEW JERSEY, WISCONSIN, WASHINGTON, NEBRASKA
              The last time religion controlled the world it was known as the Dark Ages

Comment

Are you sure that's not a pre '70 boat and didn't come with a HIN ?

Comment

Yes it has a hin number on the back, its a 12 digit number scribed in the fiberglass and the last two numbers are 77 so I figured thats the year on it since my other boats last two numbers are same as year on hin plate.Would I be able to go and file for a lost title? would they know ?The guy said he had it for 6 years.Thanks for helping me out everyone.

Comment

from Rayjay
                    Are you sure that's not a pre '70 boat and didn't come with a HIN ?
                    He said... are you sure it's not a pre '70 boat and THERE IS NO HIN.
                    OMC

Comment

I'm glad somebody around here understands me

Comment

He said... are you sure it's not a pre '70 boat and THERE IS NO HIN
                        hint hintand if it DOES have a HIN, i can buy gelcoat at the westamrine for 12 dollars that will fill in and cover any sratch, hole, HIN, crack, ETC.....

Comment

Be thankful it is the boat and not the trailer! The trailer I recieved had the plate stolen off it and lost title. The Vin number had long since faded from the sun and water.Suprisingly the DMV(King county, washington) cannot run a name search to find the previous owner, don't ask me?!In order to re-register, you need to take the boat off the trailer, have the trailer wieghed, bring it down to the state patrol, have it inspected and assigned a new VIN, then appply for title and registration.

Comment

Sorry I didn't catch that about the pre 70 boat. . We have no trouble here registering trailers here in gallia county. Just have them weighed and they make one for you at the dmv.I had a guy tell me he had some old junk boats with good titles, and if I took my manufacturing names off my boat I could just take one of his titles and remove hin plate from his boat and put it on mine as long as the length of boat is close. Would this be possible?

Comment

possible....yes. legal.....I doubt it. would I do it.....I have the right to remain silent,anything I say can and will be used against me in a court of law...
                              OMC

Comment

Working...
                              X