• 2000 Maxum 1900SC

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2005 Mariah 19SC

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

psousa

Recruit
Hi there.

I'm willing to buy my very first boat. I'm looking for something easy to launch/retrieve from the water (19 feet is ok) and a sport cuddy since it will be used on a big river, very close to the Atlantic sea. Also, I also set a maximum budget of 10k€.

After almost 1yr searching I'm focused on the 2 boats above. They are both well preserved (they seems so), both are powered by mercruiser 4,3lt v6 190hp and both come with a single axis trailer. The Maxum is about 300 hours and Mariah 200 hours (owners values since both hour counters are not working - maxum stoped around 200 and Mariah around 30). At the end of the 2014 summer I've tried the Maxum in the river and I like it. It's very well preserved. It is on the river for 2 or 3 months a year and then maintained, winterized and hosted by a specialized boat company. I did not tried Mariah yet. It's still winterized. it's also on the river for only 2 or 3 months a year but is hosted on the owners garage the rest of the year. I'm more confident on Maxum maintenance but this engine seems very nice too.

2000 Maxum: 8500eur (nadaguides price 7596eur, racio of 1.12)
2005 Mariah: 10500eur (10180eur which makes the requested price a fair price)

I love Maxum. Inside, outside, everything on it! I like it very much. But I'm afraid of construction and the bad reputation of Brunswick corp products... And it's 5y older!
I don't like much the Mariah lines/design, it looks bearish and it shows less importance on construction details, any way it's something on the budget set. I can't find something looking better within this budget. In the other side it's newer. Engine is newer.

Reason tells me to go with Mariah, but emotion makes me focused on Maxum. Can't explain :/
Any experienced opinion, please?
Thank you!

Last edited:

Slip Away

Lieutenant
No longer made means, if you need an engine vent, hull parts etc. you won't get any dealer or factory support. Often that means you are SOL.

The UK Mariah link is only a company that will import Mariah boats to the UK. Mariah molds and jigs were purchased by SeaFox several years ago, 2014 was the last year they made any "newer" boats. Currently not in production.

roffey

Commander
I will admit I do not know Mariah boats so I can only go by what you people here tell me
but.... and I quote from the web sire "For the first time ever Mariah Boats are being offered DIRECT from the factory to the customer " . Maybe the web site needs updating or more likely they are selling off there existing 2014 stock and do not manufacture boats any longer as you said.

Last edited:

Alumarine

Captain
No longer made means, if you need an engine vent, hull parts etc. you won't get any dealer or factory support. Often that means you are SOL.

The UK Mariah link is only a company that will import Mariah boats to the UK. Mariah molds and jigs were purchased by SeaFox several years ago, 2014 was the last year they made any "newer" boats. Currently not in production.
Those reasons wouldn't make it a deal breaker for me. But to each his own.
But then all of my stuff is obsolete. And has been for a long time.
As long as the engines/drives aren't.

frantically relaxing

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Try to find say, a gauge panel for a 2000 Sea Ray, Chaparral, Four Winns, or any other MFR that didn't go under in '08-- you'll likely find you can't get one. When buying boats older than 10 years, doesn't really matter if the company is still in business. The fact that a bazillion OMC powered boats are bought, sold and used every year is proof of that!
;)

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
For me buying a boat is always part emotion. It's a toy, buy what you like. I always say buy on styling, layout and amenities. Forget about the name on the side of the boat, it's not that important. My first 5 boats were all different manufacturers. Use reasoning when buying a washing machine

Last edited:

thumpar

Admiral
I would make sure to buy the perfect boat that fits you. My first was a "starter" boat and I figured out exactly what I wanted in my new boat over 7 years. Don't compromise or you will regret it. There are lots of boats out there.