Kohler Generator - Leaking Oil - Can I use Lucas

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer
My Kohler generator is leaking oil. It's a common issue with these CZ models leaking around the oil pump seal. To fix it I have to pull the generator out of the boat, separate the 2 halves etc. I want to see if I can get through 1 more season before I pull it (I want to spend my maintenance money on the drives this spring). I read on some RV sites to not run Lucas Stop Leak through generators, it will clog the small oil passages. Anyone tried this or had a bad experience?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
there are products that will soften and swell seals BUT it's hit or miss whether they will help much...

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer
I'm willing to give it a shot, I've used Lucas in a truck transmission with really good success. I just wasn't sure if the small motor clogging comments had any weight to them.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Lucas doesn't have any specific instructions for adding the stuff (aside from how much to use - 10-20% of your oil capacity). I'd remove the excess oil, warm up the engine, then keep it running while I poured it in, and for a couple of minutes afterward. That should at least insure that it circulates evenly throughout the engine without 'collecting' anywhere it shouldn't.

My .02

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
I don't have a bottle of it to look at the label, but...

Don't remover oil and run it, and don't try to add oil while it's running, typically the crankcase pressure will blow oil all over the place if you try it. And don't run it when its low on oil or it could do damage.

Just drain off the 20% and add the miracle in a bottle stuff, it may or may not help.

I had a similar problem, I thought it was a bad seal, it turned out the bolts holding the crankcase half's together were loose.

robert graham

Admiral
My experience was great with the Lucas Stop Leak in my leaking Buick power steering pump....I couldn't say about your compressor but it might work for you....I hope it does!....

Twidget

Commander
I have had good luck with this stuff. My sons car had a leak in the transmission. To replace the seal that was leaking, the tranny would have to be stripped(basically a rebuild). I gave it a try out of desperation, and it worked. That was two years ago and the leak has not returned.

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer
I found a lot of good reviews on the ATP AT-205 Re-Seal. I'm going to give it a shot. I will try it out weekend after next and post how it turns out.

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer
Follow up on this. After adding the AT-205 re-seal, and putting about 8 hours on the generator, my leak seems to have stopped or slowed to a very tiny amount. I'm going to change the oil and clean the pan up to see what happens the next time I run it, but so far it looks good!