Bought US boat in Canada, don't know how to register

helpmeout

Cadet
I'm a boating newbie. I bought an American boat last year in Canada.

The guy I bought the boat off of was the owner but never ended up registering the boat in his name because he lived on a lake. So the boat is still registered in the previous owners name who is American. I don't think I can go ahead and license the boat in Canada because of this. I called the border last year and transport Canada to ask if they knew what I had to do to get my boat fully licensed and if I did anything illegal, they didn't help me. They did say she shouldn't have sold the boat in Canada but that it wasn't actually illegal (which doesn't really make sense). I want to be able to bring my boat to lakes without having to worry about being pulled over and fined. I have no issue spending money on tax or whatever, I just want the boat fully licensed and in my name. At this point I've been trying to contact the original owner with little luck. I don't want to end up losing my boat because of this.

Can anyone help me out on what I may have to do?

helpmeout

Cadet
I got a bill of sale, forgot the address in it, but i can likely get the guy to remake one...but i feel like it's useless because the boat isn't even in his name

helpmeout

Cadet
Thanks, I'll take a look. The internet has not been kind to me on this topic thusfar.

helpmeout

Cadet
It seems like I may be a bit screwed if I am unable to get in touch with the original licensed owner. I've made several attempts in basically borderline stalking this person online and finding their info, but I wonder if they don't get back to me if there might be a loophole in which i can deem the boat "abandoned" because the people wouldn't help me out...not sure if that would work.

helpmeout

Cadet
I'm in ontario. The bill of sale is just a piece of paper that we both signed with the information of the boat.

helpmeout

Cadet
really though? seems sketch because if they run the license currently on the boat (from Michigan) it goes back to the previous owner before the guy. Seems too easy...lol And it was probably never properly imported into Canada i imagine (whatever that entails, only more money spent i guess), the original owner has a camp in canada and just left the boat here for summers then sold it to the next guy. I just don't want to send in that bill of sale and then get a word that they are seizing my boat because its american and shouldn't technically be in canada or something like that.

dannys2004glastron175mx

Petty Officer 1st Class
It will be fine . jest fill out your info on the form and the sellers name and address . Keep copy of every thing before you mail it to them.

jbcurt00

Staff member
If you use a French Canadian accent (mine sounds like a bad Inspector Jacques Clouseau) just sort of sounds like
;)

The 'good' one not Steve Martin's Clouseau:

dozerII

Admiral
Dannys right fill out the paper work, enclose a copy of your bill of sale as well as the ID and boaters licence # and send it in. You will get Canadian Registration #'s in about 4 to 6 weeks.

roffey

Commander
I'm in ontario. The bill of sale is just a piece of paper that we both signed with the information of the boat.

I am in Ontario as well, I bought a boat several years back. The "licenced" owner was not the fellow I got the boat from. All I did was go to the transport Canada web site and register the boat in my name saying I bought the boat from the original owner (you may need a receipt). If the boat was stolen you are out of luck, if not Transport Canada will send you your paper work in 90 days and you have the option of keeping the numbers or getting new ones issued.

I think the main reason for registering the boat is if you lose it to the lake or leave it on the side of the road they want a place to send the bill. As far as I know you have to register the boat if it is 10hp or more, if under 9.9 I not sure if you have to register it.

Jeep Man

Commander
Couple of ways to go about this. A query first, how old is the boat? If goes back into the 70's when serial numbers were not a requirement, you can register it as home made. If it is newer, you can go legit and give them all the info, and you will definitely have to pay the import duty on the assessed value of the boat , same as if you brought it across the border yourself, AND, as you do not have a bill of sale from the registered, you may not be able to get a registration until checks are done to verify that it is not stolen. Another possibility is to go the "abandoned" route. And finally, try to register it with just the bill of sale, make no mention of the Michigan registration and hope for the best. On a side note, it makes no difference what province your in, boat registration is federal and is dealt with through Service Canada, not Transport Canada.

helpmeout

Cadet
Couple of ways to go about this. A query first, how old is the boat? If goes back into the 70's when serial numbers were not a requirement, you can register it as home made. If it is newer, you can go legit and give them all the info, and you will definitely have to pay the import duty on the assessed value of the boat , same as if you brought it across the border yourself, AND, as you do not have a bill of sale from the registered, you may not be able to get a registration until checks are done to verify that it is not stolen. Another possibility is to go the "abandoned" route. And finally, try to register it with just the bill of sale, make no mention of the Michigan registration and hope for the best. On a side note, it makes no difference what province your in, boat registration is federal and is dealt with through Service Canada, not Transport Canada.

The boat i believe i from 1977 and the motor is 89' not sure if that makes a difference. I appreciate the help, but again its conflicting advice...just like when i talked to the border and transport people...very frustrating, but that's on me for not knowing what I was doing.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Unfortunately, it's often the same in the US.

I called and spoke to the only guy in WV that processes recreational vehiclle registration and titling: boats, trailers (all kinds including camper and flatbed), atv's and etc. Yep, there's just 1 person handling it, and if he's busy, out sick or on vacation, your paperwork would just sit on his desk and wait for him to return.

I KNEW what the state required so I took that info, paperwork and pix w/ me to the DMV, and occasionally the clerk helping me didn't exactly follow what I knew to be the necessary steps. If I could comply and get it done same day, I paid the fees and left w/ everything I'd come for. Occasionally, I could get the info, but didn't have it w/ me so I left and came back the same day and the same clerk would wave me over so I didn't have to wait in line again. Other times, I've waited around until I noticed the clerk that was helping me go on a break and just went back thru the line attempting to be waited on by another clerk.

But ONLY because I knew what the state of WV required and it wasn't worth the trouble to try and argue w/ a clerk if I was able to provide the requested info.

I've even gone to a rural DMV while traveling for work, and because I had everything I knew I needed, it went well every time.

You just need to find someone at the right agency to tell you exactly what you need to do, then do whatever is required. It would have been better to do this before you agreed to buy the boat, but now that you've got possession of it, and paid someone else, there is little motivation for a previous owner to help a great deal. They might, but I wouldn't count on it.