Trailer regalve (angle grinder instead of sandblasting?)

muncedog

Seaman
So over winter I am looking to regalv the trailer as its in bad nick. Any reason (other than time and effort which I have) you can't/shouldnt angle grind the old coating off instead of paying more to sandblast than the regalve? If nothing else it will reduce the amount of sand blasting required?

Thoughts/experiences?

oldjeep

Admiral
If you want it to take 10 times as long. Just make sure you wear a respirator, even with the grinder.

As above with good eye protection, there various options for using a grinder without actually grinding, flapper disks, wire wheels, wire cups, sanding disks.

Alternatively for less mess and flying material, electric detail sanders using a very coarse grit, but again, unless you want showroom finish you can buy metal paint that will go straight on over rust using a brush

For doing anything like this i use a mask and also a full face guard that came with my weed cutter, and allows me to wear my glasses, or i could be painting next doors dog ;).

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
There are several paints on the market that covert rust, that can be sprayed on without stripping.

Bondo

Staff member
So over winter I am looking to regalv the trailer as its in bad nick. Any reason (other than time and effort which I have) you can't/shouldnt angle grind the old coating off instead of paying more to sandblast than the regalve? If nothing else it will reduce the amount of sand blasting required?

Thoughts/experiences?

Ayuh,..... Just how ya gonna regalv it,..?? What product/ process,..??

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I have some bad new for you. Seems winter is over now and therefore this becomes a spring time project. I suggest you use flapper wheels with your angle grinder. And for fast material removal, try 36 or 40 or even 60 grit flapper disks. I basically did the same thing but I use 80 and 120 grit flapper wheels to help control the finish so there wasn't a lot of additional sanding and grinding to get to a suitable base to prime again. Then I shot PPG epoxy 2K primer and worked any areas that looked like the needed more effort. Then of course PPG shop line top coat paints, pinstripes and clear coats to finish it all up. You can see the results in my signature link. Make sure you wear some serious 3m dust type masks and quality eye protection and you shouldn't have any issues. Oh and even some good ear protection as well. Need to save your ears too! Grinding gets loud! Post some pictures of your project now and along the way. We here at iboats love pictures and project too... :thumb:

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
I have some bad new for you. Seems winter is over now and therefore this becomes a spring time project. I suggest you use flapper wheels with your angle grinder. And for fast material removal, try 36 or 40 or even 60 grit flapper disks. I basically did the same thing but I use 80 and 120 grit flapper wheels to help control the finish so there wasn't a lot of additional sanding and grinding to get to a suitable base to prime again. Then I shot PPG epoxy 2K primer and worked any areas that looked like the needed more effort. Then of course PPG shop line top coat paints, pinstripes and clear coats to finish it all up. You can see the results in my signature link. Make sure you wear some serious 3m dust type masks and quality eye protection and you shouldn't have any issues. Oh and even some good ear protection as well. Need to save your ears too! Grinding gets loud! Post some pictures of your project now and along the way. We here at iboats love pictures and project too... :thumb:

Well sand blast it your not taking into account all of the strange angle's and time but it can be done if you insist..as 280 says now how do i know that well been there done that..note the angle grinder and 60 grit paper...
Picture078.jpg

Jeep Man

Commander
I will reiterate, Wear a good respirator. Products used in galvanization is EXTREMELY TOXIC and should never be removed indoors. Even when outside, protect yourself.

Maclin

Admiral
I think muncedog is in New Zealand, Winter is next "down there", just turned Fall.

muncedog

Seaman
Hi guys - thanks for all the comments.

Good points on the safety. I was thinking of going for (expensive) hot dip galvanisation. The reason being that sanding is 90%? of the effort and I haven't had much luck with painting with zinc rich cold galv paint in the past (albeit I didn't sand the rust completely off).

I am in NZ and so its just turned to autumn!

Tail gunner - how long did the job take you ball park?

It may be I do the main chunks and just reduce the sand blasting cost - will let you know what works out!