new boat owner

static_x417

Recruit
So I recently just bought my first boat. its a 86 bayliner capri cuddy. 19 foot. i know almost nothing about boats and don't know what to look for. i also don't know how to find my engine type. all i know its a volvo penta 4 cylinder. all i know is they think the carb needs rebuilt and a new bilge pump, but they aren't sure. as far as i know it has been sitting, unstarted, for about five years if not more. any help would be appreciated i am willing to learn and not afraid to get my hands dirty.

rlamothe

Seaman Apprentice
most likely you have an AQ131 model engine. On the top of the carb there was originally a plate that lists the engine type, firing order ect. I have the same engine, and have spent a lot of time playing with it. First off, change your oil (both the engine and the outdrive they're different). You need a battery; if its been sitting in the boat for 5 years maybe that one isn't any good any more. Those have fuel tanks that can't really be drained well, so probably you have some sludge in there. Get some good fuel cleaner like startron and put fresh gas in it. You have a closed cooling system (similar to a radiator in your car) so the big red box thing on the top front of the engine needs to be filled with coolant. That's the basics of what you need to do to get it started (also if the guy winterized it the plugs might still be out of the manifold and you'll need to know that). Hook the outdrive up to a hose if you have muffs or put it in a barrel full of water if you don't. At this point fire it up. It either starts or it doesn't. If it does, you'll have a series of things to do, if it doesn't youll have a different series of things. Get a selco manual (they're like hayes manuals for boats) they're very helpful. Good luck

southkogs

Staff member
Welcome aboard Static:

Good stuff above: the bilge pump is pretty easy. With a fresh battery on (or a fully charged one that's workin'), hit the switch. You should be able to hear the pump churning a little. Don't run it too long without water, but a second or three won't kill it.

If it doesn't go, it's sittin' in the bilge below the engine somewhere. See if you can get a tester in there to see if you're gettin' power to it. If you are, then I would suggest just gettin' a new pump. Cheap and pretty easy to replace. If you're not gettin' power, you'll have a little work figuring out why.