Best brands of used aluminum fishing boats

timoshenko

Recruit
I would like to know what the forum members think are the best brands of used aluminum fishing boats. I am looking for a 16-7 foot boat with 25-90 hp outboard on it. Brands I have been interested in are Lund (just missed the only one I could probably ever be able to afford), Princecraft, Smokercraft, Starcraft, Misty River and Sea Nymph. I have about $6000 max to spend, but would like to come in under 5000.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
With your budget I think you'll get the best bang for you buck with a 1990's model Starcraft Superfisherman. This is what a 1991 17' looks like.

$_1.JPG

jbcurt00

Staff member
Do you want a turn key, water ready boat?

I'd suggest you dig in and start going to see LOTS of boats. Make and model wouldnt be as important to me as actual layout and condition, esp the layout in a turn key boat.

You have asked the boat equivalent of Ford v Chevy. LOTS of opinions wont reflect your actual needs, wants and uses of the boat.

A 16ft boat w a 25hp OB isnt going to be the same boat as a 17ftr w a 90hp.

You might find a mint condition early 90s 16ft Lund w a 50hp OB but when you go look, its not laid out the way you'd like. In a project boat thats not that big a deal, but turn key it could be.

Turn key at the price you want to spend is, IMO nearing the danger zone for boats. We've seen several spit shine dirty 'rehabs' sell for about $5K and they were cosmetic cover ups not really resto/rehabs. Not that decent $5K boats arent out there, they probably are, we just dont see any of 'em.

By seeing LOTS of boats from several makers and multiple sellers, you'll get a better sense of what, where and how to look at a used boat.

If you need to be under $6K, you'd better be ready to go see quick and be prepared to make an offer fast. This time of year, sales are starting to pick up as boating/fishing season gets close. You may not even have much time left for bargaining, there may be a good bit of competition from other buyers for most boats, esp turn key.

Good luck, as you find possible boats, you can post them here, and definitely report back what you decide to buy and drag home. Pix from the road are appreciated...

Welcome to iboats

Good luck

jbcurt00

Staff member
FYI i found a few possibles in the iboats used aluminum boats listed via the boats for sale tab at the top right of any forum page. Check there too.

89 Lund 17ftr semi V in NewYork, top of your price range, but it is the end of the month, less might grab it.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I have owned, 11 different boats in the last 10 years, I have not found a perfect one and I have not found a best one, although I keep trying. This type of question had no real "right" answer..

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
+1, MT. The best tinny is the one I bought last. Or the one I sold last. One of the two! :joyous:

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Could also add Alumacraft, Sylvan, Northwoods and Tracker to the mix.
Lund and Alumacraft made many models in the 16' range and they are not too difficult to find. Also with these 2 I wouldn't be to concerned about looking all the way back to 1985 models. Then if that is what you decide you really want then you might consider expanding your search area. I drove 9hrs round trip to pick up my Alumacraft.

cjjjdeck

Petty Officer 2nd Class
timoshenko, I sent you a personal message, check your inbox.

southkogs

Staff member
As a kid on our lake, EVERYONE had an aluminum or fiberglass tiller steer fishing boat (row boat style about 14'). I'm now in my mid 40's and I think almost all of those same boats are still in the families there in the lake.

Find a boat in good shape, that lays out well for you and you like and then take care of it. They can go for a long, long time.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Oh but there is a BEST boat... It is one that is bought and paid for... Those are always best boats in my book...

Mikeopsycho

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Not sure where you are, but Lifetimer builds awesome welded aluminum boats. They're from Vancouver Island in BC. My Dad bought a used 16 footer last year for $3500 (boat only, no motor, no trailer) and it's very well built!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
You have a good list of boat prospects but some are not necessarily what I would classify as "best". Put a Misty River alongside a Lund and do a thorough analysis and you will see why the Lund is a far superior boat. That said, the word "best" can take on many meanings depending on what your intended use of the boat is. What you can afford plays an important part and is likely the most important part of the buying process. Lund, Alumacraft, Crestliner in my neck of the woods are very nice boats and command a higher price and have higher resale value for a reason. Then there are a host of midrange boats and then the economy boats. In your list I would put the Misty River in the "economy" class. That of course does not mean with proper care it won't last a long time. I had a Misty River pontoon and it worked out great but it was not a "best" pontoon.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
You have a good list of boat prospects but some are not necessarily what I would classify as "best". Put a Misty River alongside a Lund and do a thorough analysis and you will see why the Lund is a far superior boat. That said, the word "best" can take on many meanings depending on what your intended use of the boat is. What you can afford plays an important part and is likely the most important part of the buying process. Lund, Alumacraft, Crestliner in my neck of the woods are very nice boats and command a higher price and have higher resale value for a reason. Then there are a host of midrange boats and then the economy boats. In your list I would put the Misty River in the "economy" class. That of course does not mean with proper care it won't last a long time. I had a Misty River pontoon and it worked out great but it was not a "best" pontoon.

Well said. Same here. Crestliner, Lund and Alumacraft are the big 3 in our neck of the woods. But as mentioned, they do cost more...... You can buy any of those 3 in your price range, it's just a matter of the year. Take your time when searching. There are deals to be had out there........

Last edited: