16' Palm Beach & Johnson 88 special

Les Robb

Chief Petty Officer
Going to look at a 16' Palm Beach CC with a 88 spc Johnson. Seller says boat rated for 115 hp but performs well with the 88. I've been a 65-70 3 cyl fan all my life and have no experience with the v-4's or the Palm Beach boats for that matter. Any thoughts on boat or engine and what might be a fair price for good condition combo with trailer?

toddschubert

Chief Petty Officer
Great motor. I just sold one and bought another. Workhorse. Will run with problems. Watch out for water deflectors ( if they have been replace). Do so if not they can cause over heat if malformed from age. Very easy motor to learn and work on
Can't help with the boat

Twidget

Commander
I cant help you with the boat brand, but the engine is great. I used to have a 16' CC with an 88 spl and it scooted along nicely. I never had any issues with hole shot, or speed.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Thanks for reply, boat sold while I procrastinated.
There is a lesson to be learned here. Know your market.....educate yourself. Know your financial limits. Be ready, like a snake in the grass to strike when what you think you want comes your way. Now how do you suppose I know that? BTDT If it's worth having, tomorrow is usually too late as the guy who is prepared grabs it out from under you.

I have had the OMC and Merc triple loopers. Both fine engines. Also had the OMC V4, the Merc 4s and a 6 cyl. All fine engines. Educate yourself on what kind of boat usage you plan on having and look into what kind of hull, material, and size fits that category. Lots of answers contained herein in the archives. Used boats depend on manufacturer and previous owner as to current condition. Sloppy manufacturing techniques can't be overcome with a careful/considerate owner. The best of mfgring can't be sustained by an inconsiderate/abusive owner. What to look for in used glass boats in particular is well documented in the archives.

Good Luck.

Mark