Strangest thing hooked when your fishing

PatinIdaho

Chief Petty Officer
Might be kinda fun to see.

Fishing in Idaho Lake Pend Oreille a few years ago me and my buddy are not having much luck trolling when all the sudden he hooks up. When he reels in he has a dead fish that looked like some one had flayed it and tossed the remains back.

Same buddy, Same lake and near the same spot. Again jigging this time my buddy hooks up. He seems to be really fighting a log. I mean his pole is really bent over straining. Finally gets it to the boat and its a big lava rock full of holes! Probably a 20 ponder.

Last year missed a dead deer by inches going about 40mph near the middle of the lake.

airshot

Rear Admiral
A number of years back my wife and I were fishing in the lake when she thought she felt a little bite, reeled up and we both panicked...a black hand was rising up out of the lake. After we calmed down and looked more closely it turned out to be a black rubber glove filled with mud. The aging rubber had lines on it that appeared just like skin and the marine growth looked like hair growing out of it. Needless to say we were quite shocked and took a while to sort this all out, but in the end we had a good laugh and a story to tell for some time to come.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
As a kid surf casting in Galveston TX I caught a seagull....
It had swooped in to catch my shrimp out of the air mid cast.... Was quite an interesting fight.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Nice warm summer morning out with my boy when he was little and fishing for perch when he lays into something good sized. His snoopy rod strained and creaked as he reeled in a 3 pound painted pond turtle. It wasn't much fun getting the hook out. :lol:

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
One afternoon while dragging a rubber worm along the bottom I latched on to a real nice 7' Daiwa spinning rod and reel. Still use it to this day.

tnq5546

Cadet
While fishing a creek with a plastic minnow I caught a two foot water snake. The snake was actually hooked in the mouth. I just cut the line and let it go. A few years back I also had the same situation with a seagulls, but it happen at Bob Hall pier.

Jeep Man

Commander
A couple of years ago a buddy and I were flipping jigs and hooked a fish finder. By the corrosion it looked like it was there since the previous season. When we had a little time at the cabin, I cleaned it up, replaced the battery leads and powered up. Son of a gun stilled worked.
Another time, while casting for bass from the canoe, I had a bat hit the hook. I reeled it in and I won't say what I did to get it off the line.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
I once caught the sun visor from a car. I was happy I didn't hook the whole car. A friend caught a tangle of line, several hooks and weights and a 28" striped bass who was hooked in that tangle. That fish was exhausted. We turned it loose.

joe009

Petty Officer 2nd Class
fishing with my buddy he hooked two different times a sea gull and snagged a 300 lb sun fish

aspeck

Staff member
I reeled in bikini bottoms once ... Hmmm ... No occupant, though. Caught a dead deer that apparently fell from the cliff above. Caught an anchor....

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Aside from the rod and reel I mentioned earlier I guess the worst thing I ever hooked was ME! While removing a perch a couple years ago it started wiggling and I lost my grip. Ended up burying a treble hook all the way up to the bend into the middle knuckle of my 1st finger. Didn't hurt a bit until much latter after it was surgically removed.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
(Quote redacted.

Picture!!!!!!

EDIT: nope, it wasnt a family friendly post, lets stay appropriate fellas.

Last edited by a moderator:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Okay I have to post my True Story. Years ago I owned a little 12' "V" bottom aluminum FeatherCraft boat. It wasn't much but I refurbished it with a nice floor and such. Well I invited a friend to go fishing with me. And when I drove to his house the next morning to pick him up, his entire family was waiting there at the driveway to go on the fishing trip. So off we go because I was too stupid to tell them I only invited my friend and not the wife and two small kids. Well we get to the lake and put in and start fishing. I'm in the front of the boat and trying my best to catch large mouth bass. The "Family" was wanting to fish for anything and was throwing everything you could imagine. As I got to a really interesting place I noticed the boat was moving backwards slowly. So each cast took more effort then the previous one to reach my spot. Finally I had to really lay into a hard cast to be able to reach my spot by now. But the jelly worn never hit the water but my rod was bent backward. I pulled on it and it was stuck. As I looked around, I seen that the 1/0 hook and 1/4 oz. bullet weight and Mann 6" Blackberry jelly worn was embedded into the "friends wife's" head right at her hairline. I have to admit it really did look silly and nobody was saying a word. The 1/0 hook was really embedded too. So without any more silence, I actually said without a smile "If you wanted to use a jelly worm, you could of asked"! That is the absolutely truth, and I never had the "family" waiting on me again when I invited my friend. I can only imagine how bad that hook felt when I got into it with a hard cast to try and reach my spot to fish. So that is my strangest catch fish story...at least one of them! Maybe another one later on... :facepalm:

64osby

Admiral
WOW! A hard one to follow. :drum:

Reeled in an Alligator Snapping Turtle once, Let him get hold of the aluminum net handle and cut the leader.

southkogs

Staff member
Many moons ago ... my Dad, my brother and I were fishing out on the lake. My brother (we were probably 8 or 10 at the time) was using on of my Dad's prized rods and reels (can't remember why). I hear a "plop" into the water, and my brother says "uh oh."

Yup ... he dropped the old man's rod and reel overboard. :eek:

Dad skips the lecture on taking care of other people's things and goes straight to hollerin' and prepping the boy to be minced into chum and bait. It does get rather tumultuous in the back of the boat.

Meanwhile ... I start reeling in (I mean, who's gonna' catch a fish with all that racket in the back, right? Kill him and let's get back to fishing) ... and I lock into something. Pull it up to the boat and what do I have? You guessed it: Dad's rod and reel pretty as you please hangin' off my hook.

Think I saved my little brother's life that day :hug: :D