Starcraft SFM 170 Kicker Motor too much weight

action21

Cadet
I added a new honda 9.9hp kicker motor to my 1992 Starcraft SFM 170. I mounted it where the previous owner had a kicker plate installed and used the EZ Steer setup to control steering. When I stand toward the rear of the boat water now comes in from the open drain hole on the port side transom where the kicker is mounted. I plan on moving the 2 batteries from the rear to infront of the consoles to redistribute the weight. Boat ran fine before kicker and planed out nicely now it sticks its nose in the air and does not plane. I have both a whale tale and trim tabs that I removed previously from boat that I plan on reattaching. My question is - am I spinning my wheels here or will this actually work? FYI - 1990 Mercury 115hp outboard main engine

Attachments

• photo217638.JPG
    photo217638.JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 1

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Leave the batteries where they were intended to be. Buy a ~6 HP 2-stroke kicker. What you have is too big for the boat. By the looks of the picture, you may have compromised your turning ability of the main motor as well.

Alumarine

Captain
Leave the batteries where they were intended to be. Buy a ~6 HP 2-stroke kicker. What you have is too big for the boat. By the looks of the picture, you may have compromised your turning ability of the main motor as well.
Yep, what he says. The Honda weighs between 100 and 120 lbs.
A smaller 2 stroke will weigh less than 60. Even an older Honda 5hp is a lot lighter.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Keep the Honda. I have similar boat, 1981 18' Starcraft Mariner. 115 Merc with a 15 hp kicker with a 5 pitch prop.
It works great, has torque to control boat, has "get me home ability" if something should happen to the 115 when I'm 10 miles out.

Had an 8 hp, that just wasn't enough, especially in wind conditions.

Your boat a fairly light compared to newer ones, and is weight sensitive, but going to a smaller motor to save 50# is crazy in my opinion.

Move some gear, move the batteries if needed, or just get used to having a little water in the splash well. I did.

I don't know what you have for trim tabs, but that will likely cure the problem.

I wouldn't put the wale tail on.

Possibly just dropping your prop pitch a bit would help the planing issue as well.

action21

Cadet
No Title

2015 Honda 9.9 was already purchased and returning was not an option. Left batteries where they were and put whale tail back on 115hp Merc, put 100lbs of weight in the front and she rides like a champ. I fish Lake Cumberland in KY allot and this day the wind kicked up so strong that most boats left. Using my 9.9 attached with EZ Steer I used my bow mounted minnkota terranova ipilot to steer with and trolled all day without any issues. My boat planned out just fine and got up to 31mph just like before. Extremely happy with my setup. Now if I could just find a cabin enclosure I'd be set.

Attachments

• photo218281.JPG
    photo218281.JPG
    101.6 KB · Views: 1
  • photo218282.JPG
    photo218282.JPG
    110.1 KB · Views: 1
  • photo218283.JPG
    photo218283.JPG
    141.8 KB · Views: 1