Protect an aluminum boat!!!

WBoweIII

Cadet
I just purchased a 2011 Tracker Pro Guide V-16 SC. She’s a great boat in wonderful shape and looks real good. I am super excited to get her out this spring.

The river I launch in always leaves a nasty scum line around the boat that has to be washed off as soon as I get home or it will bake on in the sun and be impossible to clean up. With my previous fiberglass boats lots and lots of coats of wax made the problem not so bad. Of course the first (and only so far) time I out this one out I got the same nasty line.

My question is what is out there to help protect the unfinished aluminum portion of the boat?

I see 3M has a marine aluminum polish that I will probably use to get her all cleaned up initially but I assume I can’t just wax it like my previous boats?
I don’t really care about a super shinny finish but I want to make that scum easy to remove after a day on the water. I came across a product called Sharkhide but I see mixed reviews. Does anyone have any suggestions/recommendations on cleaning and/or protecting an aluminum boat?

I should also add the water I typically go out in is fairly brackish.

Attachments

• photo217623.jpg
    photo217623.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Pics pretty small but it looks to me like the bottom half of the hull is painted gray rather than bare. No matter what you're going to want to at least rinse the boat and flush the motor after running in brackish water with a salt content to it.

Check out this product... http://www.shineseal.com/

WBoweIII

Cadet
Thanks for the replies and the bottom of the (boat is unfinished). I will check out both of those products

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I don't see why you can't wax the boat as well. Aluminum waxes nicely. Anything that has some type silicone in it would seem to work with the slime line. At least help with the removal of the slime line! JMHO!

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I use Mcguires Quick Wax on my boat and cars and it gives me awesome performance. That's once a year in the fall.

After each outing when I get home I use their Quik Detailer on the boat sides. It take me maybe 5 minutes to walk around and give a squirt every 2 feet, and then come back around with a rag. I do that on both my FG and aluminum hulls. Never see any discoloration ever.

Both a 3M products.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Waxed or not, I find that if you take a couple of minutes to wipe down the hull with wet rags right after you pull your boat out of the river, it is far easier to clean than if you wait any amount of time.

robert graham

Admiral
For my aluminum canoe and my aluminum jon boat I pour about 1/2 gallon of Clorox in a plastic bucket, then use a brush to apply to the hull....leave on a few minutes and rinse off with fresh water....good, cheap, easy way to clean an aluminum boat!

WBoweIII

Cadet
Thanks for all the replies.

I have always uses the Mcguires stuff on my cars including the quick detailer and it has always worked great. I guess I just assumed I would not be good for bare metal but I guess there is no reason that it shouldn't be.

Anyone had any experience with the sharkhide product?

dozerII

Admiral
I tried it but personally didn't like the results, it does have a following of people that swear by it.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Just apply wax to the area that will be affected /stained BEFORE you launch and leave the wax on.This will be your barrier coat.The aluminum will never get stained .Charlie