1981 basstracker 3 ignition switch

dakotamike

Cadet
I recently acquired an '81 basstracker 3. The boat is in good shape, but the ignition switch is in pieces. I have a new switch for the 40 hp push to choke mercury. However the pin configuration is different. Does anyone out there know what the wiring colors are and what they are for? Thanks.

alldodge

Staff member
I recently acquired an '81 basstracker 3. The boat is in good shape, but the ignition switch is in pieces. I have a new switch for the 40 hp push to choke mercury. However the pin configuration is different. Does anyone out there know what the wiring colors are and what they are for? Thanks.

:welcome: to iboats

What type of ignition switch is broke?
Here is the standard pinout and color
OutboardIgnitionSwitch.jpg

dakotamike

Cadet
thanx for the pin out diagram. I think the switch is factory, I am replacing it with a Sierra mp41000.

dakotamike

Cadet
Thanks again. I also have a pair of yellow wires with black stripes both to the same pin.....any ideas?

alldodge

Staff member
sorry about that last post......black with yellow stripes.......thanks again

Sorry but my question is who made the original key switch or control. Your trying to install a Mercury motor but what was the original motor?

dakotamike

Cadet
Sorry about that the merc is the original motor the new switch is labeled for function not color code I was needing to know what the color functions are. Also the switch has 2 M pins one magneto one ground that was my concern about the black with yellow stripe wires. Thanks for your response hope to be on the water in April. Thanks again!