Is a Stingray a quality boat?

waterlover2

Recruit
Hi, I'm looking to purchase a 2007 195 fx stingray, I'm kinda undecided though, I read they have a cracking in the hull problem, anyone experience this? I had a 175 sea ray was wondering which one is better quality?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard.

the SeaRay would have been a better quality boat than the stingray. however if the stingray is garage kept, well maintained, there should be nothing wrong with it.

waterlover2

Recruit
It's a 2007 with only 80 hrs on it, looks it great shape, price seems good at 12000. It does have the added trim tabs and power steering, but I read they are kinda unstable in choppy waters? , and that the hulls are not able to deal with it? Was wondering if this is true? It has the mer 4.3 v6 190 horse.

agallant80

Commander
I had a 2011 215LR. It was a good boat. Never had any build quality or mechanical issues with it. if I was going to go back to a bow rider type boat I would not think twice about buying another Stingray.

waterlover2

Recruit
This is a 195 fx fish ski I did notice some spidering aroud the tube hook in fiberglass, not bad. Should I worry?

oldjeep

Admiral
welcome aboard.

the SeaRay would have been a better quality boat than the stingray. however if the stingray is garage kept, well maintained, there should be nothing wrong with it.

The small Searays have more in common with a Bayliner than a Stingray. Nothing wrong with them, but you are paying for the name not any appreciable quality.

oldjeep

Admiral
This is a 195 fx fish ski I did notice some spidering aroud the tube hook in fiberglass, not bad. Should I worry?

Just means that it was either loose or seeing a lot of load. The spider cracking is cosmetic, but the fact that you refer to it as a "tube hook" tells me that you might want to look into reinforcing it if it has been getting strained.

muskyfins

Chief Petty Officer
just sold my 1993 stingray. Same hull design still used today. At 20 years old she had no stress cracks in the glass. She was a rough ride in choppy seas but in small ripples and light chop that thing would fly. (outran my brothers 24 foot Yamaha with twin jets) And turn on a dime. I though the overall build quality was on par with the small sea rays I see around here as well as Glastron, Rinker, Larsen, even the small (around 20 foot) Four winns, Chapparals. A little better than the Bayliner and Crownlines. I would buy another one. Just my $.02.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
The small Searays have more in common with a Bayliner than a Stingray. Nothing wrong with them, but you are paying for the name not any appreciable quality.

after 2002, I would agree. the prior 1996-2002 generation was pre cost reduction commonization

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Everybody in our family that owns a boat owns a Stingray. Ours is going into her 32nd season. We regularly go offshore in lakes Erie and Ontario. In comparison to a late model 19' SeaRay (my friend has one) there is no comparison. Current Bayliners are better than current SeaRays in that size range. Personally I've never heard of the cracking problem mentioned earlier. I have yet to see a spider crack after 31 years.

A 2007 with 80 hours at $12K sounds good. Nevertheless, I'd try to bargain on the price.

Back in the 1980's Powerboat magazine often rated Stingrays. They called them "Floating Oldsmobiles" In other words, better than a Chevy but not yet a Caddy. If you don't understand the term "Cadillac Quality", or you think a Prius is "good', then never mind the analogy.

Slip Away

Lieutenant
I though the overall build quality was on par with the small sea rays I see around here as well as Glastron, Rinker, Larsen, even the small (around 20 foot) Four winns, Chapparals. A little better than the Bayliner and Crownlines. I would buy another one. Just my $.02.

Have to disagree with ALL these comparisons of brands except Bayliner.