Boats broke mooring help

alldodge

Staff member
Tied was at 2.5 when boat came to rest, normal tied is 2.1, a .4 foot difference. If it is soft sand dig a half foot and float it off. If not soft sand wooded fence post should have no issue rolling it off

oldjeep

Admiral
Tied was at 2.5 when boat came to rest, normal tied is 2.1, a .4 foot difference. If it is soft sand dig a half foot and float it off. If not soft sand wooded fence post should have no issue rolling it off

If I had to guess, I would say that he is talking about meters not feet.

alldodge

Staff member
If I had to guess, I would say that he is talking about meters not feet.

You have a point there, so 1.3 to 1.9 feet would be a dig. All that said, never seen wet sand so soft several 6 inch post wouldn't roll. Same thing goes for dozers, the thing weights a lot, but pounds per sq in is less, all about weight displacement.

Ned L

Commander
Rollers should work, however they will work MUCH better if some large dimensional lumber (2x8's, 2x10's or wider) are laid down on the sand below the rollers, like RxR tracks.
This is exactly how pound boats (30 - 40 ft fishing boats) were pulled up and down the beaches every day for a hundred years on the New Jersey shore. They were kept high up on the beaches every night.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
if it's solid ground with a smooth beach I have seen a guy launch a boat with the trailer still strapped to it and ease out to a remote beach... then drop the trailer at the beach n drag it to a stranded boat n winch it up but not quite all the way... left a little negative tongue weight... then used the other boat to easily drag to the water... snugged up trailer to boat n headed back to the ramp.... I'm NOT saying YOU should do this just that I saw it once... A bit odd but it DID work.... do as you see fit.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
if it's solid ground with a smooth beach I have seen a guy launch a boat with the trailer still strapped to it and ease out to a remote beach... then drop the trailer at the beach n drag it to a stranded boat n winch it up but not quite all the way... left a little negative tongue weight... then used the other boat to easily drag to the water... snugged up trailer to boat n headed back to the ramp.... I'm NOT saying YOU should do this just that I saw it once... A bit odd but it DID work.... do as you see fit.

That is actually a really slick way of handling that! A little strange, yeah, but did it work...

Brian 26

Chief Petty Officer

Love it, file that under - wish I would have thought of that.

The whole launch a boat with the trailer is a bit odd but whatever it takes to get the trailer to the boat I guess.

Ned L

Commander

That's good practical creativity!!

Moved the boat about 15ft foot by digging and pusshing waiting for the high tide this Friday will try upload pictures when I get to my PC as my phone won't work properly