Boats broke mooring help

My 22ft teal has snapped it mooring and after a day of looking I have found it washed up on a remote beach stuck very heigh up the shore as it was the heighest tide in a long time the day it went missing now I have no idea how to get it off eny ideas ore eny think would be Mutch appriciated thanks

southkogs

Staff member
Google inflatable lift bags. Perhaps you can roll it a bit on some bags and get it in place to get the next tide out.

alldodge

Staff member
My 22ft teal has snapped it mooring and after a day of looking I have found it washed up on a remote beach stuck very heigh up the shore as it was the heighest tide in a long time the day it went missing now I have no idea how to get it off eny ideas ore eny think would be Mutch appriciated thanks

Could also get some round fence post (need to be round). Lift the boat up enough to get it on top the fence post. Then lay more going out toward water. Connect a rope to it and roll it over the post out.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I would love to see a picture of this. When is the next high tide?

I will be going down there tmorrow and trying with fence post the thing is its in very soft sand the tide went up to 2.50 on high tide the heighest we normally get is 2.10 but normaly around 1.90 2.00

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
bring a shovel and start digging a trench.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
the thing is its in very soft sand

Last spring I missed a channel marker and ran aground in sand at 20 mph. I was on there solid on an outgoing tide. Boat Tow hauled me off and even the antifoulng paint was okay.

If you have towing insurance (Seatow or Boat Tow) callthe local operator and talk it over.

If you can get a line on it and have a big enough tow boat, I'm betting you can drag it off at high tide with no harm done.

My .02

roffey

Commander
This may sound goofy and feel free to say so but.... I watched a video on youtube where they dug a spot in the sand next to the boat and then dug down to the water and made a trench (as stated above). They attached a tow rope and pulled it with boats. A slow process for sure. I watched a similar video and they used a high hoe and dug and pulled the boat to the water, either way good luck and let us know how it turns out. It looks like you have a huge project in front of you.

oldjeep

Admiral
What kind of drivetrain? Outboard, I/O or inboard? Saw a video of a guy who got a newer MasterCraft wake boat stuck on a sand/mudbar - lake was dam controlled and getting lower by the day. They tried all sorts of stuff and ultimately had to pick it up with a helicopter.

roffey

Commander
I suspect this will be expensive in time and resources or just cash or all the above. It will be interesting to see how the boat get back to water.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
So your one advantage is that it looks like your boat is not an inboard. Looks like the 22ft teal's were only made with I/O's or outboards. A stuck inboard can't easily be dragged/rolled/slid out (see above, helicopter!)

Post some pics if you have them! I'd say an afternoon with a couple of guys, some shovels, some block and tackle gear/come-alongs, and some long (6 foot) screw in anchors. (and appropriate beverages and pizza) (also, might not be able to find a screw in anchor that long, but any welding shop can slice and extend a shorter one in about 2 minutes.)

I have personally slid boats that size and larger off sand using 3 screw in anchors, block and tackle, and a come along. I set 2 of the anchors out in the water 10 feet or so (shallow) and hooked the stationary block to a rope bridle going to both anchors. The traveler end of the rigging goes to the boat, and the third screw in anchor is off to the side a little bit to anchor the come-along, which pulls the free side rope on the rigging.

Last edited:
It is an 1.6 disel inboard with a Volvo penta leg and will upload pictures next time I go down there we are starting to dig around it then going to try drag it out with a buried weight and a winch thanks for all the replied guys turns out someone had moved it to a smaller mooring that was not suitable for a boat that big now just trying to find out who witch cctv footage

Last edited:

shrew

Lieutenant
Make sure you are clear on what Marine Salvage is. Before you start involving companies to pull you off the beach, make sure your insurance covers marine salvage. This is not technically a "Tow", what you're dealing with is a salvage. If a towing company pulls you off and calls it a TOW, consider yourself extremely lucky. I had an similar experience when my anchor chain fouled my anchor and the boat dragged. I wasn't even on the beach. I was floating free, however the boat was unattended. I got a bill for $5K for the "salvage".

southkogs

Staff member
... turns out someone had moved it to a smaller mooring that was not suitable for a boat that big now just trying to find out who witch cctv footage
Was the boat moored in your private mooring or at a marina? Basically, I'm asking if the people you pay to moor up bear some responsibility here? If so, you may want to check local laws out (I'm thinkin' you're in the UK ... or at least "ain't from 'round here" :D) and make sure you're in good shape with what you do - particularly if they're liable.

oldjeep

Admiral
It is an 1.6 disel inboard with a Volvo penta leg and will upload pictures next time I go down there we are starting to dig around it then going to try drag it out with a buried weight and a winch thanks for all the replied guys turns out someone had moved it to a smaller mooring that was not suitable for a boat that big now just trying to find out who witch cctv footage

Might be worthwhile to rent a gas powered water pump and some hose. If you can get some water into the sand/mud it is sitting on it'll help it slide a lot better.

Thanks for all the great replys guys and it was a private mooring will upload photos tmorrow and let you all no how it goes

Illinoid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Round fence posts won't roll easily on soft sand but will roll easily on other fence posts laid at a 90 degree angle.