First Boat Suggestions

gestes

Recruit
Need help choosing the right first boat. Here is how we would use it...looking for suggestions on specific make, model, power, etc...

(Salt Water, Intracoastal, rivers, etc...)

1. Cruise canals and river in the evening with a glass of wine.
2. Day trip out to a sand bar with the kids and grand kids.
3. Suitable for anchor/tie out overnight or for the weekend
4. Take a leisurely trip down the intracoastal for a week or more
5. Able to support davits for inflatable dinghy w/ small outboard (could tow of course)

Fuel consumption and stability more important than speed, so displacement hull probably preferred.
Small enough to handle with one person, but capable, sturdy boat in moderate seas.
Need sheltered area onboard, like a cuddy cabin with small galley, potty, etc...
Flying bridge would be nice.
Single engine should be okay.

Budget (that's always the kicker)...up to $30k as this is our first boat. If the wife falls in love with it, THEN we could trade up for something more...

Thanks...looking forward to your feedback.

tpenfield

Staff member
Welcome to iBoats . . .

Are we buying new or used?

If new, I got nothing. . .

If used, I'll suggest

Formula 260 SS or even a 280ss

Chaparral 26 footer, maybe 285

Boats larger than that will tend to get you into something fairly old, which you may not want.

I'm sure others will add to my suggestions.

Last edited:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
welcome to the forum.

lots can fit that bill. what part of the country you in?

Last edited:

aspeck

Staff member
Another question for you ... how much boating experience do you have? Since this is your first boat I want to assume "not much," but we know what happens when we assume ... If not much, you want to go as small as possible, in my opinion, till you get the feel for what you are doing, how do maneuver in and around marinas, etc. Also, are you talking about docking or trailering? Just trying to get a handle on the size of boat that should be purchased ...

jayhanig

Master Chief Petty Officer
Another question for you ... how much boating experience do you have? Since this is your first boat I want to assume "not much," but we know what happens when we assume ... If not much, you want to go as small as possible, in my opinion, till you get the feel for what you are doing, how do maneuver in and around marinas, etc. Also, are you talking about docking or trailering? Just trying to get a handle on the size of boat that should be purchased ...

This is excellent advice. There is a reason new pilots learn how to fly in cheap two seat trainers instead of a corporate jet. If you screw up, and you will, your investment and potential loss isn't nearly so painful. Also, you may decide you prefer a different type of boat based on your experience in the trainer. If you depend on others you will get the benefit of their biases... not necessarily all that helpful for you.

Why not just figure on getting a lesser boat with the intention of trading up in 3 years to something able to do what you're proposing? You'll have a much better idea of what your abilities and skills are by then.

If you buy too much boat and scare yourself or your family, you won't go out in it.

ssobol

Chief Petty Officer
A C-Dory 22 would probably meet your requirements. I have one because the wife loved it and decided that's what we should get (which I am totally fine with).

For sheltered waters they are perfect. They don't have fly bridges and davits (although 1 guy did put a davit on his for handling a dinghy) but other than that might be perfect (a dinghy can be thrown on the cabin roof pretty easily). They get good mileage at speed (for a boat), are trailerable, and have a berth, stove, sink, potty, and enclosed cabin. You can easily configure it the way you want. Check out www.c-brats.com.

The only problem is that C-Dory's aren't that cheap. A used 22 will be pushing your budget. They also make 19's and 25's.

Be aware, drinking and boating don't go together. In some places the BUI and open container laws are just as tough (or tougher) as the DUI laws.

Last edited: