Looking at a 1991 stingray 537 zp

ctb1010

Seaman Apprentice
Hey everyone. I'm looking at picking up a used 1991 stingray 537 zp. I've got a lead on one going for $1800.00. Does anyone have any insights into this boat? The seller says that it needs a new power steering mount. Any ideas what that would cost?

Thanks!

southkogs

Staff member
Welcome aboard ctb.

Condition is key in buying a used boat. Stingray is okay as a brand, but this particular Stingray you're lookin' at is probably more of a question mark (price is kinda' low and it's an "all it needs" type of ad). Take a look at THIS topic.

Do you have a link to the listing of the boat? We can all look at the ad and get an idea the whole picture and then give ya' a million opinions you can sort through :)

With regards to the power steering mount - what kinda' drive does this boat have?

muskyfins

Chief Petty Officer
Just sold my Stingray last year. Loved that boat but it wasn't the right style boat for us. The Stingray website has dimensional/specification data for their boats going back to the mid 80's. Little tough to find, but it's there. In 1991, they switched to the Z-plane hull design. They patented it and it is still in use today. You can identify a Z-plane hull by the word "Patented" next to the HIN on the transom. Although I believe this is a Z-plane based on the model number you refer to. For $1800, I'm sure it needs some work. If you don't know much about boats, there's lots of info on this site and you could always take a friend who know about boats to look at it. There's also marine surveyors, but for a boat like this, the cost would a large percentage of the boat cost.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
A 24 year old boat for $1800 is going to be a money pit. If the owner didn't care enough to replace a $50 part, its likely nothing else is maintained either.

ctb1010

Seaman Apprentice
Here's the ad, I guess there are some red flags as the guy misposted the boat as a 1994 when it's actually 1991:

https://fredericksburg.craigslist.org/boa/4945582889.html

His responses to my questions:

Jus re did the floors and carpet this past summer boat was taken out the water late august and winterized in September of 2014. Have had the boat since 2012 and been in the water every summer. Good boat. Needs some minor mechanical upgrades. Needs depth finder, a new power steering mount, change the oil, 1 back pad and New seat cushions wouldn't hurt it either. But good boat for the price I'm asking. Has a ski pole tower that comes with it too. Not on it rite now. Comes with Life vest a tube, anchor, pole light, flares, first aid kit and throw pad. I mean it's ready for the water. Put the batteries in it and roll. I'll send some more pics.

537zp is the model. And motor and outdrive is all mercruiser most common boat motor to work on. It's got a 3.0 inline 4 cylinder. Got like 140 hp and the sticker indicates 8 occupants. It's all good sorry not to familiar with exact model. Now u say those numbers I remember taking a sticker off the boat that said 547zp. It may be a slight bigger then 17 ft

ctb1010

Seaman Apprentice
Back story for me is that my family bought a boat last year and we took it out on the water about 30 times. We love it! We bought a 1990 Chaparral. I didn't winterize it as it's garage kept and was fine last winter. I started it up in the driveway and the freeze plugs (core plugs) pushed out. Also the exhaust bellows need to be replaced. I've got a guy buying it for $2000.00. Now we are on the hunt for a new boat. I was hoping to upgrade and spend about $5000-$6000 on something a little more reliable but I'm just not sure the funds are there. I saw this boat and thought, hey if I can get this in the water for about $2000 all in and get another season for my family then we can re-evaluate next year. The nada for this boat is between $2200 and $3000. So hopefully we could come out ahead. But I have no idea how much it would cost to get power steering replaced. Thanks for the help! Boaters are the friendliest people out there!

muskyfins

Chief Petty Officer
The most troubling thing is that he fixed the floors. How? To be done properly is a huge job.

A 537 is a closed bow. No such thing at a 547. This would be a 536. Overall length 17'-5".

Max Capacity 8 people (1225 pounds)

The 3.0 LX has 145 HP but the base 3.0 has 125 HP. I believe the LX models are indicated on the cover over the flame arrestor and on the drive.

Trailer seems a bit undersized. Hard to tell from pictures.

If things check out mechanically, around here, this would be on the high side for me personally, but close to the going rate. (for this time of year) If its in rough shape, adjust accordingly.

If you send me a PM, i will give you sales info for my 1993 606 ZPX. Sold October 2014.

southkogs

Staff member
Sumthin's feeling a little goofy about it ... I'm with Muskyfins, the floors are weirdin' me out a bit.

Take a look at that link I put up top, and then go take a look at it. I'd like to see some photos from the inside. I'm guessing the floor wasn't quite done right. The price seems okay for my area IF the boat is in good working order - and I'm thinking you can't test this one on the water.

IMHO - you have to assume with a boat that's not running that it won't run easily. The "it just needs..." explanation is worthless in my experience.

Maclin

Admiral
That boat is probably worse than the one you just got rid of. I bet if you did get this one that, after a couple of working sessions trying to fix everything he did not mention, you will wish you had just kept and fixed the one you sold.

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
Looks like you better bring your own battery because for $1800 that's not included with the boat!.....LOL

Bondo

Staff member
Back story for me is that my family bought a boat last year and we took it out on the water about 30 times. We love it! We bought a 1990 Chaparral. I didn't winterize it as it's garage kept and was fine last winter. I started it up in the driveway and the freeze plugs (core plugs) pushed out. Also the exhaust bellows need to be replaced. I've got a guy buying it for $2000.00. Now we are on the hunt for a new boat. I was hoping to upgrade and spend about $5000-$6000 on something a little more reliable but I'm just not sure the funds are there. I saw this boat and thought, hey if I can get this in the water for about $2000 all in and get another season for my family then we can re-evaluate next year. The nada for this boat is between $2200 and $3000. So hopefully we could come out ahead. But I have no idea how much it would cost to get power steering replaced. Thanks for the help! Boaters are the friendliest people out there!

Ayuh,.... Not that it matters, but it Wasn't alright last winter, it Froze, 'n blew out the core plugs,.....

It probably cracked the block too,.....