raise your hand if you are an idiot

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Went to pull the Carver out of storage. Got a few things I need to do then take it to get de-winterized and some other stuff beyond my scope/desire.

Pulled the cover off , backed the (new to me) truck up to it and realized I sent my receiver home with my brother who got the old truck. Sh..............oot. Co-op around the corner, new drop hitch and 2" ball.

Back at the boa, - new wiring harness plugged in going to check out the new brakes a bit more on the trip home - very excited.

Plus it's 72 here right now. REAllY feeling it.\

Dam lower unit would not trim up. sh.........t dead batteries. Wait no maybe just the switch yeah it was in the off position so put on all and ............

nothing.

Unhook, went home, got the charger. Must me a drain somewhere that I didn't catch - had been working on the lighting last fall when I put her to bed.

Come back, run the extension cord (storage has a couple outlets), get the charger read and pull the battery cover off and who would have thought that I, of all people, would disconnect the batteries for winter????

Boats in the driveway now.......

jbcurt00

Staff member
Yep ^^^^ AND only 1 trip to the store and 1 extra round trip to the house. Sounds like ya faired pretty well ;)

next time check the batteries 1st, to confirm there ARE still batteries post winter slumber.

Dave-R

Chief Petty Officer
My favorite saying. ( everybody is an idiot for 5 minutes a day ) Unfortunately for me , there is no vaccine for stupid. And the old axiom the older you get the wiser you get is false. As you get older, you have already done everything stupid, so you just seem smarter. Dave-R

muskyfins

Chief Petty Officer
somewhere on iboats I believe I have a thread about me being an idiot.

Cliff notes-spent 4-5 hours hours in 100 degree temps fixing trailer wiring only to discover (after giving up) the problem was with the truck wiring.:frusty:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I asked the Admiral to duct tape both my arms to my side so I wouldn't raise any hand. Now my nose is sore from writing this, :doh:

southkogs

Staff member
Last year, coming back into the Spring - spent an afternoon doin' maintenance bits and pieces. Went to crank on the ole' gal and got nuthin'. Well, she's been asleep, I can get having a hard time wakin' up ...

... toss the battery on the charger and do a few other bits and pieces. Come back in an hour and give her a whirl again. Nuthin' ... uh oh.

Spend two hours :frusty: ... until ...

... I realize I didn't hook the battery to the boat :faint2:

Make sure no one's been watchin' ... hook her up ... turn the key ... listen to a pretty smooth soundin' I6 for a second or so ... turn it off. Go inside and announce that the boat cranked up on the first shot. Whatta' gal, eh?!? ;)

You ain't alone Joe. :thumb:

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Wife tells me all the time that I'm one. So now when she asks me to do something I really don't want to do I hit her back with it.
"I can't do that, I'm an idiot, remember? You tell me that all the time!"

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I hear yea. back when I was still hunting, a friend showed up at our hunting club, and as we all were getting ready to go into the woods in the dark to get into our deer stands, he realized he forgot his bolt for his riffle. He cleaned his rifle and removed the bolt to do so, and forgot to reinstall it. Of course he was only about an hour away from home, so his morning hunt was over. I loaned him my 44 mag pistol...

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Hooked up my jump box to the tractor,nothing happens. Checked connections,still nothing. Get out 150 feet of extension cord,hookup charger,look at jump ax setting on the ground. Humm...this new jump box has an on/off switch,my old box didn't. I knew that it has one....but......

Illinoid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Last summer the ramp was busy...so I was in a hurry and I could hear the sound of my motor still running as soon as I pulled up...I am sure everyone else did too;-)

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
The idiot part is that even after all these years I can keep her laughing. A good thing!

KC8QVO

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hand raised.

This doesn't have to do with coming out of storage, but forgotten necessities none the less. I went for a cruise around the lake last August, maybe the end of July. There is a portage crossing to get in to another part of the lake. It had been raining that day, open aluminum boat, so when I was crossing the portage I pulled the plug so on the trip up the boat would drain. I was loading the boat up again on the other side and jumped in the bow with an arm load of gear and was wondering why I saw so much water... I went back to the transom and yep... drain plug was out. So much for running all the water out.

Instead of putting the boat back on the cart to drain it I finished loading and took off, riding WAY low. I pulled the plug and goosed it. All the water ran back and pushed the transom down to about the water level. I got enough speed and had enough of a load up front that I was able to ride it out and get the water out. That was an experience...

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Anybody that can't laugh at themselves is the idiot... When you can literally laugh at your stupid doings, you are a great person. :thumb:

Isn't life great...

Brian 26

Chief Petty Officer
Backing my boat trailer up my dark windy driveway until I heard a crunch, I get out to see I had crashed a boat trailer taillight right into a jet ski trailer taillight.

As if I don't have enough work keeping all my trailer tail lights working.

oldjeep

Admiral
I put the boat away with whatever fuel is in it, several years ago it was nearly empty which was unusual since I usually keep it pretty full. Pulled it out in the spring into the driveway and try to fire it up on the hose. Couldn't get it to start and checked everything but the fuel gauge for a couple hours.