Craigslist deal of the week?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I would want to know what is wrong with it? That sounds like an awful lot of boat for that price, sounds to low to me.

QC

Supreme Mariner
If it's legit she's worth it just for salvage value. Story sounds good. If you get her I'll buy the GPS.

pckeen

Commander
There are a couple of red flags - fuel needing to be drained means it either has water in the fuel, or it has been sitting for a while, to the point that the fuel has gone bad - this may mean you cannot run it to test it. A boat that has been sitting may have other issues. Do a very careful inspection, and if you don't get a marine survey, at least have a marine mechanic look it over and check for problems. With a boat of this age, condition is everything - if it is rough shape, then the $4k will be just the starting price, before you put a ton of money into it. If it's in good shape, then it sounds like a decent deal.

Last edited:

oldjeep

Admiral
It is big, old, and looks like a *****house inside - likely a limited market for it, especially since he is saying it has bad gas and bad batteries. So it could be a great deal if it actually runs.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
It is big, old, and looks like a *****house inside - likely a limited market for it,

Sounds like my kind of boat! Only thing missing is a bead curtain! :D

Seriously though, nothing is throwing up too much of a red flag. I'd want to meet the owners and get a feel of trustworthyness, and even with bad gas, it should still start/run. A compression test and peek at the oil would be needed.

I picture my wife and I getting into something like this once our youngest kids reach high school age...

So... My other thought. Are you SURE you want a boat like this if you have multiple high school age kids? That boat is going to become very small, very quickly. (actually that isn't even correct, a 22' cruiser starts out small from day 1, although I am amazed they crammed that much in a 22 footer.) It is also a very poor choice for water sports, or if they want to bring a bunch of friends with. Yes, it can pull a tube or skiers, but it is far from ideal, and will also cost you $$$ in gas because of dragging around a lot of extra weight.

What is your boating experience? Not saying don't look at small cruisers, they have their purpose, but bringing the entire family and their friends along for a boating weekend often isn't one of them. What is your main purpose and figure out the boat from there.

Last edited:

Alumarine

Captain
You could always run it on a portable gas tank if it won't run on the fule in it.
Do you have a vehicle that can tow it safely?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Yea but where is the front bass seat and foot control trolling motor. I don't think I could get that boat in the back coves to caught fish... :facepalm:

Chad Flaugher

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm not going to buy this boat... I see these deals constantly though. There are two cabin cruisers at 4k on CL now. Both are legit. Our current 18' bow rider is perfect for our family, but once a few more kids leave the nest, I'd like something my wife and I (+ a couple kids) can camp on the water during extended fishing/playing trips. I watch Craigslist daily, and someday I'm going to pull the trigger on something like this. I bought our current boat in not running condition and full of bad gas. Turned out to be an awesome deal!

I know what goes through my head when I see a boat like this on craigslist, I really just want to see what goes through y'all's heads!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I'm not going to buy this boat... I see these deals constantly though. There are two cabin cruisers at 4k on CL now. Both are legit. Our current 18' bow rider is perfect for our family, but once a few more kids leave the nest, I'd like something my wife and I (+ a couple kids) can camp on the water during extended fishing/playing trips. I watch Craigslist daily, and someday I'm going to pull the trigger on something like this. I bought our current boat in not running condition and full of bad gas. Turned out to be an awesome deal!

I know what goes through my head when I see a boat like this on craigslist, I really just want to see what goes through y'all's heads!

Chad I have a seriously bad problem of seen every type boat as a challenging project to refurbish to new condition and therefore will probably never see a bad deal regardless of price (within reason). So I have to not look until I'm ready to start another project. I love rebuilding most anything to like new again. It really is a curse... :eek: :faint2:

muskyfins

Chief Petty Officer
With the kids both out of the house, we sold the bowrider and bought the cruiser in my sig. I'd say you've got the right idea. And I bought mine with fuel POURING from the fuel pump. If you don't mind some work, buy a fixxer upper. Or buy a turn key and be on the water today. Although my experience has shown every boat needs something.

Chad Flaugher

Petty Officer 1st Class
gm280: Hands down, always look forward to your responses... You see things the same way do.

I quit smoking cigarettes 1 year and 14 days ago. A month later after my wife got sick of me being an A-Hole, she stated that I needed a hobby.At some time later in July, I came home dragging my new $500 hobby home. Now, my cigarette is our boat, and the next boat I..... I mean we...decide to buy is where my focus is!. I love boating, and my new hobby is my new cigarette. I'm here on iboats to stay.

southkogs

Staff member
If it's legit she's worth it just for salvage value. Story sounds good. If you get her I'll buy the GPS.

Solicitation is against forum rules........:rolleyes:

Don't worry QC. If he'll sell the GPS to me, I'll PM ya' and give it to you as a present. That should keep it from being solicitation. :thumb:

I feel bad for the guy having to dump that boat 'cause of a medical condition. It ain't a beauty pageant winner, but looks pretty roomy for her size.

Chad Flaugher

Petty Officer 1st Class
Chad I have a seriously bad problem of seen every type boat as a challenging project to refurbish to new condition and therefore will probably never see a bad deal regardless of price (within reason). So I have to not look until I'm ready to start another project. I love rebuilding most anything to like new again. It really is a curse... :eek: :faint2:

One year and 22 days ago, I quit smoking cigarettes cold turkey. By June, my wife, being sick of my irritability, suggested that I get a hobby. In July, I came home dragging a $500 "hobby" behind my truck. Now, it seems as though boats have become my cigarette. I'm afraid I'll always be hooked on the projects that boats entertain. Ha! Fine by me, the more project, the better.

southkogs

Staff member
^^^^ you ain't kiddin'. Kind of a fun place to walk through though.

Chad Flaugher

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm so glad that place is a long ways away from me! My whole yard would be covered in boats and boating accessories!:jaw:

dwco5051

Commander
I'm so glad that place is a long ways away from me! My whole yard would be covered in boats and boating accessories!:jaw:

My thoughts too. Plus I could not think of any way I could explain what a great trip it would be to my wife considering the day before I saw this ad I just hauled home another 50 year old tractor.