Windlass Lawrence simpson Horizon 1500 - Slippage

ormjgrouch

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Anyone have a DIY on how to fix these anchors,

I ordered a new Rode Management Module [FONT=&quot](6053190) from UK and that didn't' fix the slippage. I have a feeling my gypsy is worn out which is causing my chain to slip when I'm trying to reel in the anchor.

Many thanks guys ALMOST BOATING SEASON (Northern VA)
[/FONT]

alldodge

Staff member
Anyone have a DIY on how to fix these anchors,

I ordered a new Rode Management Module [FONT=&quot](6053190) from UK and that didn't' fix the slippage. I have a feeling my gypsy is worn out which is causing my chain to slip when I'm trying to reel in the anchor.

Many thanks guys ALMOST BOATING SEASON (Northern VA)
[/FONT]

Can you explain further about how it is slipping. You replaced the rode so I'm thinking the gipsy teeth are not holding the rode, or is it a combination between the teeth and the clutch?

Have you tried adjusting the gypsy gears/teeth?

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Really, not enough info. Is this a new problem?

It's doubtful that the gipsy is adjustable, so you could have:

A worn or improperly adjusted clutch
A worn gypsy
The wrong size gypsy for the diameter of your rode
A rope-only gypsy that you're trying to use with chain
A worn/frayed anchor rode
The wrong kind of anchor rode (3 plait vs. 8 plait or vise versa)
etc., etc

ormjgrouch

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sorry guys for not responding sooner.

AllDodge - the chain is slipping between the teeth of the gypsy, I tried adjusting the nut, but I dont' think its adjustable.

JoLin - Clutch is fine, just slipping between the teeth. Boat is a new boat to me, the PO mention that the chain slips.

I just tried calling Lewmar and they gave me a sales pitch, for Lawrence simpson windlass owners, 55% off of new windlass of the retail price. total coming to $1,582. ouch!!!

but hopefully they have my gipsy in stock so I can replace it myself. but of course I need to get another number off the gipsy and the boat is at the marina..argh!

ormjgrouch

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just wanted to give props when deserved. I have been emailing Lewmar regarding my issue, they have been great and very helpful, even told me how to fix my problem without even buying parts. Now I haven't done the fix but they are very helpful. all through email (John from UK).

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Be sure to post back with the solution. That info could prove invaluable to someone else with the same issue.