Shifter cable and Carpet a Recommendations

jessb_55

Seaman
well I tried manually moving both the throttle while shifting and was able to but still pretty hard. However if I remove both the throttle and the shift cable from the motor they both move smooth, however I do feel like our throttle lever has ever had the range that it's really suppose to as I feel like it doesn't really move all that far. Therefore I think the cables are actually fine and I'm just wondering if all the cable simply just need adjustment. I did also notice a grease fitting inside the shift lever on the motor so I did grease that and that seemed to help the forward movement decently however going into reverse is still not good and I still don't feel like forward is as smooth as it should be comparing to other boats I've driven. In fact I was never actually able to put the motor in reverse by hand....

do you think a simple cable adjustment by a shop would be worth a try or are we still looking at another possible cause?

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Let's see if I have this correct. When you remove the cables from the motor the control cables move freely and the levers move easily full stroke?
With the cables removed the throttle linkage moves fully and returns to closed when released? With the cable removed the gears shift smoothly?

Have you had the lower unit off? If so is the shift rod set correctly?

jessb_55

Seaman
Sorry if confusing as I'm sure I am! Levers move freely when disconnected other than throttle lever seems like it does have the range/stroke I think it should but maybe that's just me :) I guess I don't know how to answer your question about the throttle linkage and if it returns to close. Could you possibly elaborate a bit more?

As for the lower unit nope I haven't had it off but the shop possibly has... Not sure If it's related it there was a decent size puddle of fluid under the motor the weekend we carpeted the new floor....

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Not a problem, we'll get it worked out. Just to make sure we're on the same page this control is a 2 lever and not a single lever correct? The one shown in the picture? I happen to have one here we can use to compare.

You may have more than one problem so go through this one item at a time. Start with the control box. The throttle lever should travel the full length. All the way back to all the way forward. On the front of the box is a knob, that is the throttle tensioner.

You could open the control and remove the cables, it's a pretty simple design inside. The cable end will be held in with a pin and a barrel that fits into a slot. Once the cable is removed you can check the cable to see if it moves freely. Then with the cable out put the 2 halves back together and check the operation of the levers. Everything should move freely. If not there is a problem.

On the engine where the cable connects, with the cable off try moving that fitting where the cable connects and watch all the linkages, the ignition plate and the carb butterfly shaft. Is the carb opening all the way? Is the carb closing all the way? Is the ignition plate turning when the throttle is advanced? Again here everything should move with an even pressure in both directions.

If you feel uncomfortable opening the control box I could send you some pictures of what it looks like before you do open it.

jessb_55

Seaman
No Title

hi there,

Pretty sure the tension knob on the front of my control box says idle stop and then one on top says throttle tension. even if Ioosen that one completely there doesn't seem to be any change. I've included a couple pics for reference showing how far they go each way. Yes this is the two lever system shown in previous pics :) I think I'm pretty comfortable going through the control box but instructions or pics would be awesome if at all possible :)

As for the carb linkages I did remove the cable from the engine already and move the lever piece where the cable connects and it seemed to move a bit hard but was definitely moveable. Sorry I'm dumb but where is the carb butterfly located? I do know that as I moved that piece by hand the golder piece in the pic I attached earlier does move (is that the ignition plate?)

Attachments

• photo218729.JPG
    photo218729.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo218730.JPG
    photo218730.JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 0

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
here are a few pictures for you.

That is the full travel of the levers, the length of the cable from slow to fast and the inside shot. Pretty basic.

jessb_55

Seaman
OMG you are so helpful.....i'll see what i find but yours definitely has a bit more travel then mine eh ;)

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
On this control if you need to replace the cables you will have to reuse those white plastic ends. They are held on by the 2 screws that you'll see on the ends. The same will go got the motor side.

jessb_55

Seaman
Alrighty finally had a little time to take some time away from the new backyard fence install to pull apart my lever box. Once disconnected the cable from the handle the handle seem to function smoothly. When trying to pull the cable end by hand I couldn't move it much at all but maybe that's normal. I've attached some pics. Your unit looks alot cleaner than mine too. I even found a dead worm in mine lol. I notice on your thin divider plate piece yours seems to have some screws going through it where mine doesn't...probably just a small variation though right...So what else should I be testing or looking for here or are we fairly confident it's the cables?.. IMG_3526.JPG IMG_3527.JPG IMG_3528.JPG IMG_3531.JPG

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
When free the cable should move freely and easy, not much effort. Those screws you see in the picture are just the case screws that hold it together. I just placed them there so I wouldn't misplace them.

That cable in the last picture, did that come off the gear lever? I ask because I don't know how they put it in but that is not the correct cable. That is a type 479 cable. The white plastic piece that is attached to the handle is called a guild and should have a pin with 2 flat sides that fit into it. That pin then gets attached to the cable with 2 set screws.

I have here both the type 400 and the 479 I will try and post you up a some pictures of both.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
jess, sorry I hadn't sent you those pictures yet. Do you still need them? Did you get it straightened out yet?

jessb_55

Seaman
No Title

Hello Bonz-D...thanks so much for your patience as I've had so many other projects going on that I haven't been able to dig more into this. We did finally get to take the boat out and the shifter cable did seem to be at least somewhat better going forward after lubing it. Here are some pics of the cable movement, mine doesn't have half the range yours does.....these pics are taken with the cable still attached to the motor, does that matter? I'm pretty sure the pic in that last picture is from the throttle lever...

Attachments

• photo220643.JPG
    photo220643.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo220644.JPG
    photo220644.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 0

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Good to hear, as long as the throttle is opening and closing all the way I wouldn't worry about the travel distance.. Remember those pictures I sent were with the cable all disconnected so they probably travel farther.

Shoot me a PM if you'd like to just chat. I have a son up in Kirkhoven

jessb_55

Seaman
Wait so do you think I'm still not using the wrong cable then maybe? Dumb question but how do I know if the throttle is opening and closing all the way? Thanks!

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
From the pictures you posted earlier, yes those are the wrong cables or cable. I'm still trying to figure out how they got that one cable connected to the shift handle.

Remove the cover on the front of the carb and then move throttle, throltte butterfly should open all the way and close all the way. Now I'll have to check to see if I sent/posted those pictures of the cables in mine