1981 grumman 14' aluminum

Just bought this 81 grumman aluminum boat with trailer. Gave 650 for it. No leaks. I hope it will make a good stable fishing platform for my son and I. It has. 5'4" beam and is rated for a 25hp motor and 825lbs people and gear. Haven't been able to find out much about this style boat or even what style it is. It looks a lot like a tri-hull to me. It has hard chimes and the bottom has a slight v at the rear. When I put it in the water to test for leak I could sit on the gunwale comfortably and I'm nearly 300lbs. I'm working on a 63 10hp Johnson and 57 7.5 evinrude(with pressure tank) that I picked up together for 250. Both had good compression and lower units. My question is do you think the 10hp will get this boat on plane? I thought if I could get both motor running good, I could trade or sell them both for a 20 or 25 if the 10 was not enough to get on plane. Really don't care how fast it goes, and I know some people are going to say, run the max hp rating, but I would like to keep both motors and use the 7.5 on a small flat bottom jon for the small rivers and creeks. Thanks for any input or info on this style boat.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Just bought this 81 grumman aluminum boat with trailer. Gave 650 for it. No leaks. I hope it will make a good stable fishing platform for my son and I. It has. 5'4" beam and is rated for a 25hp motor and 825lbs people and gear. Haven't been able to find out much about this style boat or even what style it is. It looks a lot like a tri-hull to me. It has hard chimes and the bottom has a slight v at the rear. When I put it in the water to test for leak I could sit on the gunwale comfortably and I'm nearly 300lbs. I'm working on a 63 10hp Johnson and 57 7.5 evinrude(with pressure tank) that I picked up together for 250. Both had good compression and lower units. My question is do you think the 10hp will get this boat on plane? I thought if I could get both motor running good, I could trade or sell them both for a 20 or 25 if the 10 was not enough to get on plane. Really don't care how fast it goes, and I know some people are going to say, run the max hp rating, but I would like to keep both motors and use the 7.5 on a small flat bottom jon for the small rivers and creeks. Thanks for any input or info on this style boat.

:welcome: to iboats

No 10HP is not enough to get it on plane, probably need twice that at a minimum. Had one similar growing up with a 9.5, it got me where I was going but sure took a while

fetch

aspeck

Staff member
When I worked at a marina, we rented out 14 foot johnboats with 9.9's on them. They would get and scoot decently. So, yes, I believe if the 10hp is running decently, and the weight is evenly distributed in the boat, the 10hp will get you on plane and to where you want to go. Would a 15 - 20hp be better? Probably. But you might be surprised at what that 10hp can do ...

southkogs

Staff member
Welcome aboard! My thoughts (mostly guesses): If it was just a 14' row/jon boat with a coupla' benches, then I'd say a 10HP would do the trick. She'd run somewhere in the teens MPH and do okay with a coupla' guys and gear.

That boat's got a buncha' build to it. It's rated higher, and you and your buddy and the gear you take with ya' are gonna' add significantly to the weight that little 10HP is gonna' have to push. It may go on plane, but I think it'll be slushy at best. I'm guessing you need at least a 15HP to feel like you're going anywhere - but 20 to 25 to like it.

That said - you already have a 10. Give it a whirl. It may be close enough for ya'. It's surely not gonna' hurt to try it out.

Thanks guys, I'm certainly going to try it. Will get us fishing around the campground for sure. Anybody have any thoughts or input on this style boat, good or bad? Can't wait to get it out on the water with my son. We haven't had a boat in a couple years.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I honestly don't think a 10HP is going to do the job. But that is just my opinion. It isn't a typical johnboat and therefore is built a little more substantial and will need a little more oomph to get it there. I would certainly go for the max rated engine so you don't have any issues. I've never heard of anybody complaining that they had too much power on their boat. But I can tell you there are millions of folks wanting more power... And that's a fact Jack! :D

southkogs

Staff member
Anybody have any thoughts or input on this style boat, good or bad?
My family has a cottage on a small lake, and I grew up with a couple of 14' rowboat style fishing boats (no pedestal seats like yours). They are still one of my favorite style of boats. You can kinda' get anywhere in 'em and they're easy to handle. I like my runabout, but it's nice to have that style around too.

Can't wait to get it out on the water with my son. We haven't had a boat in a couple years.
... that being the case, bro: you could probably paddle it and it would be fine. Enjoy.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
My 14 foot Western Aluminum is very similar to the one your guys got, I ran it with a 9.9 Merc for almost 2 summers and it plowed, did not get up on plane no matter what I did, I changed it out for an 18 Tohatsu at the end of last summer and it was amazing the amount of difference it made, so I would recommend going bigger, maybe a 20, but give it a try with the 10, it will get you there, but it is not going to do it very fast, but that will be secondary to getting out on the lake with your son!