Fujinon vs. Nikon Image Stabized (IS) Binoculars

yorab

Ensign
I am in the market for IS binos for use on a boat. I had my selection down to 3 models from Fujinon, Nikon, and Canon. But it turns out that Canon dealers here in Singapore won't allow me to try before I buy. There's no way I'll drop more than a grand on binos if I can't try them first to see how they fit me.

Anyway, I'm now down to the Fujinon Techno-Stabi (14x40) and the Nikon StabilEyes (14x40) and I'll be trying each this weekend. Assuming that I am happy with the ergonomics and weight of each, is one better than the other?

Has anybody used both and can comment on differences between them that I should pay attention to during the test drives?

Last edited:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
I'll be pretty surprised if you find many people here in the $1000 binocular market....

That said after reading your post I googled image stabilization and learned quite a bit about the basics... from there read reviews online and read the tech on each model to see how they work... good luck

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I have the Canon unit, but in a lower magnification. Looking through them for the first time is a revelation and for my eyes a huge benefit. It makes you feel really good about spending extra buying an IS lens for your camera.
Both of those are very powerful and, for myself, I would prefer a larger optic element at that kind of power. I have not used either brand. If I had to guess I would pick the Nikon with it's very extensive use of IS systems and high quality optics.

I am very happy with my IS binoculars and I suspect you will really be glad you have them when you choose.

yorab

Ensign
Thanks rallyart.

Are there any items that bug you with your Canon set that I should look out for when I try the other models? Did they come with objective lens caps?
Do they only help with low-amplitude hand shake, or do they also "cancel out" larger-amplitude disturbances, specifically boat rolling?

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Yes, mine came with objective lens caps but not eyepiece caps. It's really not the large amplitude motion that they stop but as you move your hands to compensate the image will stay clear so that you can continue to watch the center of your vision well. Mine have worked well in very cold conditions but that has only been for short term exposure where I don't think the unit has cooled down all the way to the outside temperature. I find that the batteries last fairly well but the only way you can tell that they are going is that you can't see or focus as well. I don't think they work quite as well as normal high quality optic units when the IS is not operating, but that difference is very small.
My eyes have had a number of varied surgeries so they are a bit wonky at the best of times. Having the IS binoculars has really helped with eye strain when I've used them.
They are heavier than regular units. I would just make sure they fit you when viewing and are a comfortable hold, just like you would look for in any binocular.

Oh, the other negative is that they don't have as much spread at the objective lenses so your depth perception is lessened. That's not really much of an issue anyway with any of them and it keeps them compact.

Last edited:

mrdancer

Petty Officer 1st Class
Not sure, but I think the Fujinon and Nikon are the same binocular. IIRC, it is of Fujinon lineage.

I think the Fuji/Nikon units handle greater movements than the Canon units. I've used the Fujis before, and they are nice.

agallant80

Commander
I know some of the Fuji equipment is just rebranded Nikon. You may want to see if that is the case.

yorab

Ensign
Well, I went with the Fujinons. It was actually a b-day present from my wife, but I ultimately had to let her know which ones I preferred.

We're heading off to do some sailing around Palau for a week or two and I'll report back on how I liked or, God forbid, didn't like the binocs.