Keel Guard vs. Keel Sheild?

Status
Not open for further replies.

boatbum1959

Cadet
I am considering adding this to my 19' Bayliner bowrider,is there a difference between the two? and which one would suggest I install.

PAkev

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Keel Guard vs. Keel Sheild?

I can't speak for the Keel Shield but I installed Keel Guard on my 20 ft. CC last year and the only problem I had was wishing I had done it sooner.<br /><br />I wanted to bring my Keel Guard higher up the bow line in order to have protection from docks and other higher obstructions. Therefore, I opted for the next longer size than what the ordering chart recommends. <br /><br />I think the chemically bonded installation process used by Keel Guard affords confidence it will be on there for a long while. Keel Guard offers many colors to select from to match your boat. Not sure if it is still offered but last year Bass Pro Shops was giving a free stainless Scuff Buster with Keel Guard purchase.<br /><br />I don't think you will be disappointed with Keel Guard.

RatFish

Chief Petty Officer

Ditto on what PAkev said. I installed a Keel Guard on my bowrider last year. No problems at all.

Realgun

Commander

I just installed 1 on my project and it was very easy. Keel Guard. I think the keel shield is more expensive.

fireship1

Chief Petty Officer

Installed one last year on my 21' sea ray bowrider. I ordered the longest they had from West Marine, I believe it was an 8'Keelgard. I installed it starting right under the rub rail and cut a small rectangular hole for the bow hook. Make a paper pattern first if you decide to cut a slot, that's what I did and it came out looking like a factory job. The only thing that was a pain was the bottom paint. I had at least 8 coats I had to strip in the area the Keelgard bonded to. I used an orange oil based non toxic stripper and it pulled off all the paint like a charm. Was it worth all of that? Yep. I would recommend them to anyone who wants to keep the keel in one piece. ;)

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Great avitar Fireship1.

MrBill

Boatbum...I can't remember which is which, but I've used both. One is suitable for a PWC, the other recommends not using on a PWC...so the one suitable for a PWC is on my SeaDoo, the other on a 19' Bowrider. Both have been fine going on year four. The brand that comes with marine caulking to seal the perimeter is on the boat.

Admin5

We sell both here at iboats. We haven't received any complaints about either manufacturer from any of the thousands of customers we have sold them to.

That being said, I personally have a Keel Shield on my boat (which I installed over 4 years ago) and have had no problems with it but if I were to do it over again I would pick a Keel Guard for several reasons:

1. iboats sells Keel Guards at the lowest price permitted by the mfr. ($10-$20+ under Keel Shield pricing).
2. The overall look and feel of the Keel Guard looks like it always belonged on the boat right off the showroom floor and does not yellow over time.
3. The Keel Guard people are just plain great to work with and are passionate about their product.
4. With both products having a life time warranty - get the less expensive product - Keel Guard.

Here is a link to both products on iboats: http://www.iboats.com/Hull_Keel_Protectors/dm/view_id.217418

88steve

Cadet

Compare apples to apples on those keel guards. Keelshield advertises they tested best plus Triton Boats installs Keelshield at the factory , as well as other boat manufacturers. I have not seen Keelguard installed at any boat manufacturers, to me there must be a reason for this.

Rossw

Recruit

I have a Triton that has a Megaware KeelGuard protector which was installed at the factory at my request. The fact is, Ranger, Nitro, Legend, Bass Cat and Mastercraft also install the Megaware KeelGuard at the factory. Ranger offers both the Hamby?s Beaching Bumper and the KeelGuard as factory options. I have used Megaware KeelGuard for many years on my tournament boats and have never had any issues. I receive many compliments on the way it looks. There must also be a reason that Bass Pro Shops, Cabela?s, West Marine, and Overton?s all carry the KeelGuard. I have found that product tests can be manipulated and biased to those that pay for the test.

88steve

Cadet

I have seen all 3 of these products on boats.But with my boating style I do not need the big Hambys and prefer something narrower. I have seen first hand that Keelguard is dull and can be easily scratched. I like the Keelshield because it is shiny and does not scratch as easy, it is shiny like a gloss on it.

SouthernAppal

Seaman Apprentice

My trailer is roller/bunk type. Keel Guard recommends no keel protection unless the trailer can be modified such that the rollers do not contact the protector.

riverkeg

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I think you'll be happy with either. I went with the Keelshield even though it's a little more $ but I'm a fan of polyurethane. Their customer service is also very good. I emailed them on 2 different occasions and each time, I got multiple (same answer) replys from different people.

The most important thing is to have one if you ever plan on beaching.

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

We sell both here at iboats. We haven't received any complaints about either manufacturer from any of the thousands of customers we have sold them to.

That being said, I personally have a Keel Shield on my boat (which I installed over 4 years ago) and have had no problems with it but if I were to do it over again I would pick a Keel Guard for several reasons:

1. iboats sells Keel Guards at the lowest price permitted by the mfr. ($10-$20+ under Keel Shield pricing).
2. The overall look and feel of the Keel Guard looks like it always belonged on the boat right off the showroom floor and does not yellow over time.
3. The Keel Guard people are just plain great to work with and are passionate about their product.
4. With both products having a life time warranty - get the less expensive product - Keel Guard.

Here is a link to both products on iboats: http://www.iboats.com/Hull_Keel_Protectors/dm/view_id.217418

quite surprised you got this much play from a 4 year old post.

if you want color choice and exultant service go with keel shield

i gouged mine loading on trailer in 1' 1/2 waves. all i had to do was e-mail a pic and new one was on the way.no charge!!!!! keel shield even payed freight.
and this was on a several years old shield. they all so let me choose a different color.

URL=http://good-times.webshots.[com/photo/2940372970103006965EATitU]
2940372970103006965S500x500Q85.jpg
[/URL]

w_huisman

Seaman Apprentice

Jaxnjil-

May I ask how you removed the residue left on the hull upon removal of the old keelguard/saver?

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

Jaxnjil-

May I ask how you removed the residue left on the hull upon removal of the old keelguard/saver?

maybe to late but just got back from lake and catching up on 4-m

i used a heat gun on low and old plastic spatula from the kitchen jill had had for Teflon pans. that got rid of the big stuff and the old shield then sprayed wd-40 on the residue and rubbed off with a micro towel. then remove the wd-40 with rubbling alcohol

HNDYMN

Recruit
How he gets it off. Elbow grease, persistence and good old-fashioned ingenuity i.e., WD-40 and a spatula. Excellent.

Status
Not open for further replies.