Value after being on market

john john

Seaman
Should asking price come down after year on market? See boats listed from last year with same price, brokers or dealer with consigned boat don't move on price? May drop from 70k to 68k and never check with owner on other offers.

Chad Flaugher

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hmmm, if I understand what you are asking, I'd say that would totally depend on the seller. If I want to sell my boat, and I'm not in a hurry, I'd keep the asking price the same until I get an offer. If I needed to sell it in order to purchase another boat for the quickly arriving boat season on the other hand...:D You bet I'd drop it a bit!

PatinIdaho

Chief Petty Officer
I made a offer on a 17ft trihall last spring decent shape. Ad said he was moving and could not take it with him. Asking price was $2000. I offered $1600. He did not accept. Totally his choice.
Almost exactly 1 year later the ad is still up
And there is 1 more almost exactly the same situation except he bought a bigger boat and had no room to store the one he has listed. 9months later he is still posting his ad
Ended up buying a better boat for less money. YEAH!
So i spose im glad they did not accept my offer as i ended up with bigger better for less but i still think. Is $400 off the asking price worth a year of not selling it?

Last edited:

shrew

Lieutenant
There is no accounting for people's logic. I know people who go out to eat because they have a buy 1/get 1 coupon for a restaurant. Their justification is they're saving 'n' dollars. I look at like I'm still SPENDING money, not saving it. Some people don't look at a used item for what it is worth, but rather what they paid for it, what they have invested in it, or what it would cost to replace it. I have another friend who spends hundreds of dollars each weekend at flea markets and yard/garage/tag sales. She comes home and loads the crap into various outbuildings then cheers about savings hundreds of dollars. This is not logical and there is no sense is trying to convince them otherwise.

Hoarding is a spectrum disease, in which there are varying severities. Watch a few episodes of American Pickers. Not much difference.

Chad Flaugher

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ha ha ha. That made me giggle. Thanks for sharing shrew, glad I'm not the only one who thinks that way.

john john

Seaman
It's up to the seller whether to sell or not. Thing is when offer is made, the broker or dealer decides if it is reasonable or not without consulting with seller. Maybe they're not really wanting to sell, unless they get high price.

agallant80

Commander
I think its like selling a house. If no one is biting its not priced right. With boats, I think some people are burred in them and can't afford to take less.

oldjeep

Admiral
Depends on how much they really want to sell it. If someone wants to pay me 20K for my 6 year old pickup then I'd be happy to sell it and upgrade to a new one. If nobody wants to pay that then I'm happy to keep driving it - either way I've still got a truck.

tpenfield

Staff member
Should asking price come down after year on market? See boats listed from last year with same price, brokers or dealer with consigned boat don't move on price? May drop from 70k to 68k and never check with owner on other offers.

Some boat sellers are not too bright . . . I see quite a few boats on my local Craigslist that are going on their third year of not selling . . . same/similar price as before.

The ones that lower their prices after a while on the market are the ones that sell. The others are probably just delusional.

I would say that 6 months, maybe a year on the market at a certain price is pretty good proof of what the boat is NOT worth. Some seller's just don't see it that way and think their dream buyer will show up some day.

alldodge

Staff member
No matter what is being listed and what price the first few words out of a persons mouth is something along the line of "will you take less". The person has not even looked at it and wants to know if you will take less. I don't talk price on the phone, looky loos, are all over the place. Very few really want to buy they want a 10K boat for 2K. Figure if the person is not willing to come look they don't plan to buy.

Had a guy this morning on the local radio trader wanting a snow plow for his lawn tractor. I thought, yep I have two of those, one needs a lot of work but is there, the other looks brand new. I asked 50 for the old one and 225 for the newer one and also would throw in a set of wheel weights. First thing out of his mouth will you take less.

tpenfield

Staff member
Interesting thing, this thread prompted me to check the boat listings (BoatTrader, etc) for some of the boats that I looked at 3 years ago (2012)

Formula 280SS - 3 of the boats that I saw listed back then are still listed today (Toms River NJ, Arnold MD, Westhampton NY) . . . all the same price as they were 3 years ago. One of the boats (Toms River) I actually made an offer on . . . still has not sold.

Folks will always try to get something for less than asking price, but after a certain amount of time (3 years of not selling . . .) it would seem pointless to keep asking that same price.

roffey

Commander
Interesting thing, this thread prompted me to check the boat listings (BoatTrader, etc) for some of the boats that I looked at 3 years ago (2012)

Formula 280SS - 3 of the boats that I saw listed back then are still listed today (Toms River NJ, Arnold MD, Westhampton NY) . . . all the same price as they were 3 years ago. One of the boats (Toms River) I actually made an offer on . . . still has not sold.

Folks will always try to get something for less than asking price, but after a certain amount of time (3 years of not selling . . .) it would seem pointless to keep asking that same price.

I hear what your saying but.. and there's always a but, LOL. I was looking at boats about two years back. I ran across an ad that was about 300 miles from my place and he was asking top dollar plus some. I had a budget and just could not go over but was interested in the boat. I asked if he were stuck on the price as I had a long way to go just to come home due to lack of funds. This fellow got very upset a few nasty words and dial tone. Me, I was just trying to cut to the chase over the phone and not waist his time and my gas... but in the end ask what you want maybe you'll get it, you might have the exact boat at just the right time.

Chad Flaugher

Petty Officer 1st Class
At some point, you gotta ask yourself. Whats your time worth? Posting your boat on CL every morning for three years is about 1,100 posts to keep it on top. If it takes 3 minutes each day. That's 55 hours of your life that could be spent fishing instead of posting on CL. At that point, wouldn't you just give the boat away and go fishing?

tpenfield

Staff member
At some point, you gotta ask yourself. Whats your time worth? Posting your boat on CL every morning for three years is about 1,100 posts to keep it on top. If it takes 3 minutes each day. That's 55 hours of your life that could be spent fishing instead of posting on CL. At that point, wouldn't you just give the boat away and go fishing?

Yea, I think what some sellers in the 'long time listing' phase fail to realize is that they could keep renewing their posts for the rest of their life . . . and still be the owner of the boat.

ssobol

Chief Petty Officer
IMO if you are not prepared/able/willing to pay the asking price you should not begin the conversation. Sure you can ask for a lower price, but if the seller says no you can buy or walk. If a boat is listed for $3000, you shouldn't offer $2000 and then get annoyed when the seller does not take it.

john john

Seaman
When I bought my current boat, found on boattrader, seller and I settled on price, 6000 less than asking price, before I saw boat. Price was made on condition everything was to my liking. Drove 3 hours, met at dealers launch, went for ride, done deal. He was really selling and I was really buying. Now I'm really buying but not finding serious seller. Something else, every boat dealer has is consignment boat. Guess trade in values are not much.

Chad Flaugher

Petty Officer 1st Class
Not sure where you're from, but it's not really the sellers season. Boats usually bring more money in the spring, so a lot of your sellers will start popping up in another month or two.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
this seems silly to me... there is absolutely no rule or system a seller should adhere to... Years ago listed my old clunker mustang convertible for $2200... not a single serious call... a couple months I listed it for $2000... got a couple lowball offers of $400-900 but nothing serious.... I didn't care... didn't matter to me if it sold or not.... a year later I bought a BMW convertible and parked the mustang at the end of the driveway with $2500 on he windshield and listed it on c/l again at $2500... got several calls and a few lookers... within 3 days it sold for $2500

I might well raise the asking price on something I have had for sale if I'm not in a bind to sell it.... Heck, maybe the seller has continued to improve the item increasing the value or MAYBE they are asking way more than they think it's worth just in case someone is willing to pay it.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
IMO if you are not prepared/able/willing to pay the asking price you should not begin the conversation.
Totally disagree...everything is negotiable. When I bought my Wellcraft boat, he was asking $28K. I ended up buying it for $22K and he threw in an 8' inflatable and an outboard motor.

With my pontoon boat, he was asking $17K and I bought it for $13K.

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
I also agree that everything is negotiable. I price things that way when I sell and no way would I ever offer full asking price.That is just dumb unless the seller is giving the boat away.

BUT, when you offer me $3400 for a boat I'm asking $4800 for that has a newer Mercruy outboard worth 4K easy any day of the week your going to **** me off and at that point you'll be lucky to get $10 off. In fact the price just went up because I'm done with you........LOL Wasn't a bad boat other than it was too small and I realized I'm just not, and will never be, an outboard guy.