BOSS audio systems?

Has anyone had any experiences with Boss audio systems? I'm in need of replacing my deck and 2 5.25" speakers. Not looking for a high $$ system, just something that will at least work great as opposed to my stock POS. Thanks

skeeterboy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: BOSS audio systems?

look into crutchfield.com or sounddomain.com for speakers. Not a big fan of boss, but what do you want to spend? for CD get a pioneer or alpine you can find them cheap.

Sea Six

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Do you mean BOSE? If so, Bose and Sony are the only two name brands I've owned that ALWAYS need repairs.

rabidfish

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have installed several Boss systems. They seem to be working fine(about 3 years now) but they aren't great systems.

JasonB

Lieutenant

Boss is ol if you understand they are good, but not top tier by any shot. I have a pair of Biss 6.5" woofers in my work truck that have been abused for 10+ years with no problems. I also have 2x 6.5", 2x 5x7" 1 x 10" and a boss amp in my weekend truck. It pounds and keeps going. The key is to use Boss amps with Boss speakers if running amps. They are rated for each other where higher end stuff will put out say, a true 500w while the boss speaker's 500w rating is more like an absolute peak if that makes any sense.<br /><br />Very happy with my Boss equipment for the price.

Would you all recommend sticking with a marine deck, and speakers? I'm not expecting the sounds I'd get on a top end system with amps and the like, but understand that the speakers on my boat now, are like the worst speakers. They are just plain old horrible. You couldn't even hear the music unless the engine was dead.

JasonB

Lieutenant

I would get the marine speakers for sure. the deck is up to you. I have a marine deck inside a weather-resistant housing. it is a slide-out unit that usually goes in the house when not in use. You will pay more for the marine, but it may be worth it to keep from replacing as often.

wvit100

Chief Petty Officer

I've got some regular non marine speakers in my boat and this year they will be 4 years old, they still sound like new. Unless you boat in salt water I don't think you will see any difference between marine and non marine speakers. In the past when speakers had cones made of a paper type material it would have made a difference. Modern speaker cones are made of synthetic material which insn't as effected by moisture.

skeeterboy

Petty Officer 1st Class

dont get marine speakers. they are price higher and really what IS a marine speaker? Just make sure everything is connected firmly and possibly use some silicone to seal connections.. Marine speakers are also limited in brands. get a speaker that is polypropylene or "rubber" surround and not paper or pulp. With the head unit alot come with a detachable face so you can take it out and put it in a case that most come with.

ufm82

Master Chief Petty Officer

BOSS systems are fine for general purpose listening. They aren't gonna thump your boat and they aren't going to give you "concert hall" sound, but they work. I bought one for a cheap system in my fishing boat. The 5.5" speakers sucked- just too tinny and cheap sounding. The deck on the other hand rocks. It's a 200W unit (50W X 4) and it will jam with the 6X9 speakers I bought. I dumped the 5.5" speakers since they sounded cheap. I only spent $150 on the entire system and the deck works great. It has the detachable face and is a CD player model. Very good for what I spent.<br /><br /> Oh, marine speakers will have a couple features that are important. They have waterproof cones that won't fall apart if they get wet, but more importantly, they are normally shielded so they don't screw up your compass. ( If you have a small boat with no compass, that part doesn't make a lot of difference. LOL) So yes, there are differences in speakers. <br /><br /> I'd buy another BOSS unit- the price is right and they sound pretty good- just ditch the cheapie speakers. <br /><br />UFM82

cuzner

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I recently bought a pair of new 6 1/2 pioneer nautica speakers new.. 15$ shipped.decent sound, only 80w per speaker, but the price was right and the factory ones instaled where garbage.personaly if the price is the same I would get the marine, there is more to being a marine speaker then just the cones, the metal is powder coated,and I think they use diferent wire.<br /><br /> jim