Head replacement

ericcarr2000

Ensign
I have a 1990 250 sundancer that is in the need of having the head replaced in it. I was wondering if anyone can pinpoint me in the right direction? The reason it needs replacing is because the screws that mount it to the deck are pretty much rotted away.

Attachments

• photo216411.jpg
    photo216411.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 0

Bondo

Staff member
I have a 1990 250 sundancer that is in the need of having the head replaced in it. I was wondering if anyone can pinpoint me in the right direction? The reason it needs replacing is because the screws that mount it to the deck are pretty much rotted away.

Ayuh,.... Why not take it out, fix the holes, 'n replace the Screws, insteada the whole shebang,..??

Use SSteel, instead of steel this time,...

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Okay, when I first read the title, I thought it was a critique on the movie "Young Frankenstein". Then I though it was a head replacement on an engine. After seeing the picture it finally come to light... I agree with Bondo's assessment as well... Replace the rusted parts with stainless steel and happy going, I mean boating... :facepalm:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
yep had to do that same thing once. And you will find that all your usual friends/helpers are busy that day.

shrew

Lieutenant
The direct replacement for that is going to be either the Johnson Manual Pump, or the Jabsco Manual Pump. I swear I think they are made by the same manufacturer and have different stickers. Each makes a 'Compact' and a 'Comfort' model. The bowl and seat are slightly larger on the 'comfort' models, however the base and footprint should be the same.

http://www.iboats.com/Johnson-Pump-C...view_id.703188

http://www.iboats.com/Johnson-Pump-C...view_id.704323

iBoats seems to have the Jabsco replacement parts and electric flush, however I couldn't find the Jabsco Manual flush on the site. I agree that if this is just a rusted bolt issue, then simply replace the bolts with SS. I disagree with the comment on the choice steel vs. SS, only in that I know the mounting bolts were provided by the manufacturer. I had a Jabsco which used very low grade SS and they also rusted. It's called StainLESS steel, not StailPROOF steel. SS still rusts.

The issue is more than likely because Brusnwick doesn't caulk the head when mounting it, however they place the shower in the head. So guess what happens......
yep, the water intrudes and rusts the bolts and wicks into the deck where the head is mounted. When you remove the bolts, check to see if there is moisture in the bolt holes. I bet there is. Ask me how I know. :)

SDSeville

Lieutenant
Okay, when I first read the title, I thought it was a critique on the movie "Young Frankenstein". Then I though it was a head replacement on an engine. After seeing the picture it finally come to light... I agree with Bondo's assessment as well... Replace the rusted parts with stainless steel and happy going, I mean boating... :facepalm:

Haha. Thought the same exact things -- 1st thought was this http://www.cnet.com/news/human-head-transplant-just-two-years-away-surgeon-claims/ , then wondered why this wasn't in the engine repair section.

+1 on replacing with SS screws

ericcarr2000

Ensign
Well, for starters, there are cracks along the base of the toilet, so I just thought about replacing the thing. :facepalm:

shrew

Lieutenant
Can someone tell if I have the compact bowl or the household size bowl?

I couldn't find the specs for the AquaT/Johnson models. For Jabsco models:

JABSCO Full-Size Twist'n'Lock Manual Head
Dimensions: 13-5/8"H x 18-3/8"W x 19-1/4"D

JABSCO Twist'n'Lock Compact Manual Head
Dimensions: 13-1/4"H x 17-3/4"W x 16-3/4"D

The base will be the same for each. The bowl and pump are bolted onto the base. As long as you have room, then you should be able to go with the Full-Size model.