I want to sell boats for a living.

Count Monaco

Seaman Apprentice
I am a power salesman seasoned in direct b2b sales and I also love boating. Now, I've never worked in any marine related industry and have maybe 100 sea hours logged, but I know that I want to sell boats for the next 5-10 years. I know sailboats the best and I know a lot of sailors, so I figure I sell all my friends sailboats first.

My questions are: Should I start buying used boats, fixing them and selling them myself, or should I go apply for a job at a dealership? What to expect?

southkogs

Staff member
Full time bread winnin' boat sellin'? Or havin' a good time playin' and makin' a few bucks part-time boat sellin'?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
If you want to make a small fortune fixing up boats to sell, start by having a large fortune.

your best bet is get in with a broker.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
I'd say do your homework. Dig in and survey the "niche" market you plan to occupy. Pay attention to market trends caused by the environment, potential customer base changes, and politics/economy. Don't jump in and say "I know I can do it". That won't get it and if you do you will find out soon enough you should have done your homework. Now how would I know that? Had a son I financed with that attitude. I knew he was doomed from the start due to his lack of preparation, but I wasn't going to be responsible for his failure. He did it to himself.

I think southkogs had a good suggestion. Besides your "business model" doing it part time would give you time to keep one foot on stable ground and explore with the other. Nothing like "testing the water" before you jump in.

Around here it's one problem after another affecting the boating industry. If it's not economic problems, it's drought, or snails invading an 89,000 acre lake, and on and on.

Good luck.

Mark

shrew

Lieutenant
Do you have any skills in marine service and repair? Engines, outdrives, fiberglass, electrical, etc? If not then fixing and selling boats is not a reasonable goal. As a 'power-salesman' I'm sure you're aware of the old saying "It takes 100 leads to make a Call, it takes a 100 Calls to make a SALE. The most successful salespeople are constantly pumping new prospects and maintaining existing customers. When are you going to have time to sell when you're spending time learning to repair and actually repairing? Remember it's going to take 3-5 times as long for you to do what a professional does every day. Longer if you're actually learning as you go. More expensive as you make mistakes.

Get a job at a dealership or a brokerage and learn the ropes from seasoned salespeople. Leave the service to the marine technicians.

southkogs

Staff member
I only asked the FT vs PT question because I sold boats for a little while. It was years ago, and times were pretty good. And even then it was a tough racket.

The market has changed a lot in the last 7 - 10 years, and it's even harder now. I've got at least 4 manufacturers here in our state and they've all had an uphill climb lately.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Sounds to me like you are doomed to failure! You simply can't rely on friends for sales and you seem to think boat sales are like direct marketing or Amway or Avon. Shift your paradigm if you are really serious.

aspeck

Staff member
Try to get on with a dealer ... are you located in a "12 months of sun" climate or are you one of us winter people who are buried under snow and ice right now? Selling season in the northern tier is not a 12 months a year profession. Are you ready to be laid off for 4 months of the year? Great for vacation, but not for the bank account. I have friends that have made a comfortable living selling boats for a dealer, and a friend who now owns a family dealership who has survived the ups and downs of the industry and the family has done okay for themselves. If it is what you love, then go for it. Just go in with your eyes wide open. It is selling a luxury, now a necessity.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
The OP is in the Tampa area of Florida if I recall from a prior post. There are thousands of boats down here sitting un-sold at hundreds of marinas. everything from hulls needing work to multimillion dollar boats. not sure this is the best market for selling. it is for buying.

Count Monaco

Seaman Apprentice
Full time bread winnin' boat sellin'? Or havin' a good time playin' and makin' a few bucks part-time boat sellin'?

Full time... I'm stuck at a crossroads trying to decide between flying solo or working for a broker.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Full time... I'm stuck at a crossroads trying to decide between flying solo or working for a broker.
Well if working for a broker is in your pedigree, then you have the gift of gab and that should help immensely in selling boats. Couple of nights ago saw the movie "Wolf of Wall Street" on my satellite TV. Man what a salesman. If Leonardo didn't get an oscar for that absolutely stellar performance, I'd like to know why.

Mark

southkogs

Staff member
IMHO ('cuz everyone has one), sellin' is sellin'. You are either a sales professional or you aren't. Some things are easier to sell, and that means you don't need to be as good of a sales professional. And some things are harder to sell, in which case you're gonna' have to be that much more skilled in sales. Boats - especially da' big 'uns - are in that latter camp. To be successful (long term full time), you'll really need to bring some professional skill to the table.

What kind of sales experience do you have?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I once worked as a salesman in a department type store. And I can tell you it isn't my calling. If I thought the item I was selling was indeed a good item, I could sell it to anybody with confidence and ease. However, trying to sale some pure crap to folks was a miserable experience that I will never even do again... I can't lie to folks to make a sale. If I can't believe in the product, I can't lie to others to sell it... JMHO!