Upholstery test

john john

Seaman
Is there any way to determine the condition on upholstery in a boat if there are no visible tears or cracks? If taken care of, how long does it hold up before cracking? Looking at 2007 sea ray bow rider that appears to be covered when not in use. Just concerned about age of material.

robert graham

Admiral
If it looks good and feels good then the boat was probably covered and out of the rain/weather/UV light enough to preserve it.....may be good for several more years....there are vinyl polish/waxes that have UV Sunscreens in them to help preserve upholstery....

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Its not the age but how well it was taken care of.

My 1984 Stingray's upholstery has been treated with a protectant* twice a year for 31 years. The boat is covered and garage kept when not in use. The seats are soft and supple and look brand new. My fishing boat has the original seat cushions that came out of the 1968 runabout that I sold in 1972. If you turn them over you can see that the tops are sightly faded, but the material has not a single defect.

OTOH, I know of a 1971 Runabout that was well maintained, garage kept and covered up by the original owner until 2 years ago. I saw the boat when it was sold, and even considered buying it myself. The upholstery was pristine. The second owner kept it outside and uncovered. After a year he decided to sell it. The seats were all cracked and completely trashed. Seeing that pristine classic in that condition would make you sick!

* 15 years of lemon pledge, 10 years of Armorall, and 6 years of 3M Mcguires auto vinyl protectant.

PWH1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
My boat is a 1997 and the seats look like new. Again, the boat has been covered and garage kept when not in use. I use 3M products to clean and protect the seats. I wouldn't expect the seats to ever present an issue with the care the boat and interior receive.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
To test the vinyl press your finger into it while the vinyl is warm to the touch.It should not leave an imprint for very long.If it does then the vinyl is thin which is what happens over time with uv damage.Keep them covered and treat with formula 303 and that will be the best care you can take.Charlie