Moisture issue/Mold Issue?

rhino_160

Seaman
Hey all,
I had an issue this last off season with my pontoon boat that was inside a warehouse (not humidity controlled) but was under the factory boat cover. I cleaned and conditioned my seats thoroughly before I put it up for the winter. When I went to sale it this wknd, I noticed the seats all had that black mold like crap starting to cover them again. I had to re-clean all the seats before selling it. My question is this: I have purchased a deck boat and have a cover for it. I just want to know is there some moisture pads, moisture buckets, or moisture rod I could put inside the boat for the off season to prevent mold from growing on my seats? Thanks in advance

64osby

Admiral
Vents in the cover help, as do the buckets that absorb water, (you will have to dump the water out).

I've seen a few that add air flow with a fan.

Others state that a two - 3 or 4" hoses, one set high one set low will vent by convection.

I usually cover mine and end up having to scrub it in the spring.

This year the boat is under cover buy not covered with canvas. I hoping for no mildew or mold and plan on dust and dirt.

Last edited:

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
If its in a warehouse and the place is dry (no roof leaks, wet concrete, etc.) then it should be fine if its covered. A canvas cover would be preferred, but material like sunbrella works well too. The cover needs to breathe, though, so poly tarps are a no-no. I don't care how many vents you have the whole cover needs to breathe.

If I read your comment correctly ("starting to cover them again"), it sounds like you had mildew before. If that's the case, it doesn't matter where it was stored. You probably never got rid of it the first time. Unless 100% eradicated it'll return!

rhino_160

Seaman
Yeah the toon I had was a rental at one time and they never cleaned the seats. I had to scrub the black mold off, I say I didn't fully kill it to begin with. My new boat won't have any to start with so maybe that was the culprit, I hope. I think I may try the moisture buckets and proper ventilation as well. I was just wondering what everyone else was doing too

Last edited:

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Totally agree with JimS. Canvas breathes. If you can't find one go to a canvas shop and have them make you one; not as expensive as you might think. BTDT. Vents and all that may help plastic but to me they are somewhat futile as compared to the ventilating area of the whole cover. But I don't know about vents and all; never had them. I do use plastic tarps for things, but for a boat canvas is the ONLY way to go in my estimation based upon 50+ years of boating.

Mark

Last edited:

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
Make sure your boat is completely dry before putting the tarp over it for a long period of time( winter storage). I have used the little round vents that hold a prop rod with good success. Use a breathable canvas product like Sunbrella for the cover. For winter storage, damp rid containers, or mothballs can help a little. The main thing however is to make sure the boat is completely dry before throwing the tarp over it .

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
You have to start off with a cleaned,fresh water thoroughly rinsed and thoroughly dried boat.You can buy a mildewcide spray at home depot.Tent your cover for maximum air flow.If there is electric you can put a fan on timer so it goes on every day for a while.Also any type of light if electricity is available.Damp-dry buckets will work if you seal the canvas which I don't recommend.Charlie

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
I may be way off base, but if it is in a warehouse that doesn't leak then why even cover it at all? Too much dust? Little critters in the warehouse?

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
I may be way off base, but if it is in a warehouse that doesn't leak then why even cover it at all? Too much dust? Little critters in the warehouse?

Because it will be covered with dust and you'll either have to tolerate a dusty boat or wash it prior to use.

rhino_160

Seaman
its in a warehouse that is used for maintenance on vehicles and many other things. Way too much dust in there to house it without a cover. Thanks