Westland Sharkskin boat cover...not worth it.

technec

Cadet
Westland Sharkskin boat cover...good thing I bought it on closeout. Thing has disintegrated, called Westland and since I bought on closeout, no warranty. Good thing I did not purchase at regular price of$380.00 plus, given the quality, I would always be replacing. Back to using a $20.00 tarp.

oldjeep

Admiral
Strange, I had one on my bayliner for 7 years. Only issue I ever had was some of the blue color rubbing onto my white engine cover when trailering.

Rentaltux

Seaman
I had mine for 3 harsh years weather wise and held up like a champ! It was still like knew after 3 years. I would be interested in hearing the details also?? Lets see if we get them...

shrew

Lieutenant
Fabrics can break down from UV exposure, from chemical exposure, or from abrasion. They don't disintegrate for no reason. UV exposure is commonly accompanied by fading. Abrasion tends to occur in specific areas. How did this cover actually 'break down'?

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
I had one on my last boat prior to selling for three years and it worked well, color had faded a little, but thats all. You might try to put some 303 waterproofing on it to bring it back to life.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Depending on which Sharkskin material it is, it's likely a polyester material. Polyester is a 4 year material on average for a boat cover.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
In addition to the previous questions, what did happen to the cover? Did wind, water or snow load overwhelm the cover? Was the cover a good fit for your boat?