anchor line

Hello boaters I'm new to boating and was wondering what size and length of anchor rope i need to anchor in the Willamette river for fishing ? I have a 16ft seaswirl

Last edited:

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Hi and welcome to iboats

Length will depend on the depth of the river. You want to have at least 10x the depth of the water AVAILABLE for use, though the length of rode you actually use can vary depending on current and wind conditions. 3/8" diameter will work fine for your boat, but don't skimp on quality. Pretty sure iBoats sells pre-made anchor rode- say, 100' or 150' of line, a few feet of chain, and the shackle to attach it to your anchor, If they don't, google it. Plenty of places do.

Finally, 3-strand line is stretchier than braided, so it absorbs shock better. It'd be my recommendation for anchor rode,

My .02

JoLin

Vice Admiral
You need 10 feet of rope for every foot of water your in .

No offense, but there are too many variables to simply state that you'd deploy a 10:1 scope. That's potentially a lot of rode to retrieve and may be unnecessary. You should have 10 feet of rode per foor of water depth ON HAND. In practice, the scope of your anchor rode (the amount you play out) can be quite a bit less unless wind and current action are extreme. I seldom need more than 5-6 times scope in winds up to 15 knots.

The OP should read up on the subject. The major anchor manufacturers (Danforth is one) have good tutorials on their sites.

My.02

doyall

Petty Officer 1st Class
Perhaps s more fundamental question to ask would be what kind of anchor is required/will you be using in the Willamette River?

doyall

Petty Officer 1st Class
A relatively long and heavy chain between the anchor and rode will be the most beneficial item you could have.

shrew

Lieutenant
No offense, but there are too many variables to simply state that you'd deploy a 10:1 scope. That's potentially a lot of rode to retrieve and may be unnecessary. You should have 10 feet of rode per foor of water depth ON HAND. In practice, the scope of your anchor rode (the amount you play out) can be quite a bit less unless wind and current action are extreme. I seldom need more than 5-6 times scope in winds up to 15 knots.

The OP should read up on the subject. The major anchor manufacturers (Danforth is one) have good tutorials on their sites.

My.02

I don't think the question is how much scope should one anchor with. Rather, how much anchor line to carry onboard. I agree that in most cases one would typically anchor from 5:1 ~ 7:1 on a calm day. The example of 10:1 is a good rough estimate so scope can be increased in a blow. The question is really, how deep does one anticipate anchoring? I'd hate to only have enough line to go to 7:1 when 10:1 might be needed.

Or what if one needs to anchor in deeper water than normal?