Boat Dock design questions?

hostage

Lieutenant
My Texan parents are going to be replacing the dock at their lake house as the current one is pretty old and will not fit the boat my father has. They are planning on replacing it with one of a similar design it is a L shaped dock that has the peninsula going into the lake with a small "lagoon" between the 2 sides of the dock and the shore. There will also be an observation deck above the boat to provide a roof for the boat and a place to hang out as well. They got a quote and a design from a company, but I am stressing sun protection for people out on the dock or above the observation deck. This use to be my grand father's house and when I was a kid he would take us out skiing and tubing. I remember that very few people hung out at the deck and most preferred to stay on shore, where the trees provide some shade. They say it would be nice to hang out on the upper deck during sun set and I had to remind them about all the wonderful swarms mosquito we have down there. I am also suggestion an small axillary floating dock w/ gangway to provide a place for people to put their feet in the water, kyakers to deploy their shells, and for kids to swim inside of the small lagoon. I remember many times that the water can get so low people can't get their boats out. What are your thoughts on these two suggestions? I know roofs can be great places for wasps and dirt dabbers. If you were to redo your dock, would you add a small roof to part of it to provide some sun protection? I drew up a plan for the roof to cover a good portion of the peninsula and also drew built in benches.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I would put up adjustable large patio umbrellas that can be taken down in really high wind. However with a large stationary dock, you could build a structure. Not sure where in Texas you are located, however I would definitely design for 100mph winds or higher.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Might be tough to do a deck on an L shaped dock. Where my dock is, they don't allow any decks on docks because of wind and it blocks people's views.

TexMonty

Seaman
Hostage - what lake? I am in the process of contacting Army Corps of Engineers and the Brazos River Authority (actually I put calls into them today). They own/regulate most the lake front property I am looking at to buy. One thing we are dealing with in Texas are many lakes are so low the docks are out of water, or will be soon. Most the docks were constructed as floating, but anchored by the usual poles driven in the ground. So when the water recedes the dock does not move and you have a dock sitting in dirt. I bring this up to say I am trying to find out - one - can the existing docks be moved out into water and two - can full floating docks be installed so they could float out (and of course extend gangway) with the water. I have a large lake on some hunting property in central Texas and I installed a floating dock anchored by chain/the bank and large concrete blocks and it works great to move in and out at it changed levels.

I guess I say all this to say make sure where you put it will have water if the lake level drops 10 feet or more!

hostage

Lieutenant
No Title

Lake Livingston. I have seen plenty of times where the water level is down that people can't get their boats out. I made a concept drawing.

Attachments

• photo216223.jpg
    photo216223.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 0

wrench 3

Commander
No Title

How about using something like this for the sun shade. You can also add screening for those sunsets. The roof covering is canvas, so can be removed for any serious storms, leaving only the steel frame screwed to the deck.

Attachments

• photo216257.jpg
    photo216257.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 0