Newborn baby

allielayla1

Recruit
We have a 34' formula and are expecting our 2nd child in May. Our daughter is 10 years old and sleeps in the back bedroom. We have been debating whether or not to put the boat in the water this year because we don't know what it will be like having a newborn onboard. Has anyone done this or have any advice? Thank you in advance.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
welcome to the forum.

Where are you? And depending on the answer an AC unit might be in order.

We have friends that bring grandbabies out and never been an issue - just gotta pay attention to them

Congrats on the new one.

alldodge

Staff member
We have a 34' formula and are expecting our 2nd child in May. Our daughter is 10 years old and sleeps in the back bedroom. We have been debating whether or not to put the boat in the water this year because we don't know what it will be like having a newborn onboard. Has anyone done this or have any advice? Thank you in advance.

:welcome: to iboats and congrats

Seen many boaters with newborns and a bot old and it all comes down to the baby. If the baby likes the surroundings (rock, roll, noises etc) then no problem-o, if they don't then there is an issue. Just have to wait and see how the little tike takes to the area. With your 34 you should have plenty of room and a sold boat to go with

ihearth2o

Petty Officer 2nd Class
We had our son on the boat as young as 5 weeks. That age is actually the easiest time we ever had our kids on the boat. They just sleep most of the time. Just make sure you get an appropriate PFD.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Aren't kids the reason for having the boat in the first place? As long as there is shade there is no problem. My kids were weaned in a 16' outboard with a convertible top. They are now in their thirties and have boats of their own. With a 34 footer it should be even easier.

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I loved having my kids in the boat. When they were tiny we would leave them in a car seat or a carrier, unbuckled, with a 'sling' type vest on. My wife got a piece of light but netting and would drape that over it when mosquitoes were out.
Keeping the baby from overheating and out of the sun is the key. No burns when they have fragile skin and they get warmer with a vest on so temperature is important. It is far easier keeping the infant with you on the boat than staying away from the water.
Congratulations.