purchasing a boat

N0RMND

Cadet
hey guys new to the four , thought i come an see if i can get some information, my boddy has a 88 larson sense v220 been on it nice boat, an he wants to sell it to me, I'm very interested, but I'm just wondering a little more info on them, he says his has a omc and a ford 460? did these come with this? other then that it needs a coil that he has the windshield needs to be resealed leaks a bit in middle, he rebuilt the alternator last year, has aftermarket msd ignition aftermarket intake, n he fixed a lot of the wiring and added a fuse panel. interior is in good shape an everything else has a camper top n all that. what do u guys think ?

drrpm

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Generally its best to avoid Ford engines and OMC drives.

aspeck

Staff member
Fords are hard starting and the OMC is hard to get parts. If the floor and transom are solid and it is cheap enough, then okay. If not dirt cheap, I might look elsewhere. Also, buying a boat that old with an OMC from a friend MIGHT end the friendship if you are not able to keep the purchase and money spent after the purchase separate from friendship ...

N0RMND

Cadet
i don't have a problem with the mechanical part, I'm pretty mechanically inclined, herd there pretty bullet proof as long as u keep an eye on ur oil for the outdrives, he's only had it a year (last year ) an i was on it enjoyed the workd most of the bugs out, which i posted about, he's not a friend that would screw me over, only reason why he's selling it is cuz he's got a baby cooming an the thru haul is to loud lol, I'm going to wait till spring anyways but thought id try an find out as much as i can bout it. thanks guy any other tips or advice would be great !

southkogs

Staff member
Welcome aboard.

Iffy - OMC isn't a killer for me, but it's a hesitation. Condition is key in buying a used boat, so if it's in fabulous shape that has to be considered. What's the price tag?

jbcurt00

Staff member
i don't have a problem with the mechanical part, I'm pretty mechanically inclined, herd there pretty bullet proof as long as u keep an eye on ur oil for the outdrives !
Get the exact engine and outdrive model and serial numbers and start looking for wearable/maintenance items for both.

Not a truck 460 alternater, a marine alternator or a starter for the marinized Ford 460
Exhaust manifolds/elbows and cooling risers
Thru hull gaskets for the outdrive
Impeller for the outdrive
etc etc etc

The boat's nearly 30yrs old, you and your buddy know the last year's history on the boat, motor and outdrive. I wouldn't rely solely on the hope that my own diligent maintenance will keep it running and running right long term. Boat drivelines are under a different load then a similar motor in a truck.

And stuff just happens.

When it does can you find the part you need, at a price you're willing to pay, and how long will it take to get to you? Probably not going to find all the wear items at the closest marine store.

FYI: I don't have any idea whether the advice to keep an eye on the gear oil is accurate or if that makes them bullet proof, I don't own a Ford/OMC I/O. I also am not trying to talk you out of buying the boat, it's all just info I think you may not have or considered.

I would hope a friend wouldn't deliberately sell you a boat that wasn't worth whatever you agree to pay. I suspect the friendship at risk comment was based on how sideways an older driveline, that longer has good parts support for either the engine or the outdrive, could go, because like I said, stuff happens. Seems to more frequently w/ boats and friends that buy/sell or own boats together.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
i don't have a problem with the mechanical part, I'm pretty mechanically inclined, herd there pretty bullet proof as long as u keep an eye on ur oil for the outdrives, he's only had it a year (last year ) an i was on it enjoyed the workd most of the bugs out, which i posted about, he's not a friend that would screw me over, only reason why he's selling it is cuz he's got a baby cooming an the thru haul is to loud lol, I'm going to wait till spring anyways but thought id try an find out as much as i can bout it. thanks guy any other tips or advice would be great !

this your first boat? or first 'real' boat? Did you read the article on the link I posted? Not just about oil.

As southcogs stated - not a deal killer you just need to know and be able to handle.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
You can be as mechanically minded as the original OMC technicians, however if you can't get parts, you can't get parts. Good news is the king cobra and ford motor can easily be replaced by a GM motor and either a Volvo or Mercruiser drive. I myself would probably pass unless it was a killer deal on the boat, and the transom, stringers and sole were perfect

tpenfield

Staff member
Ditto on what the other guys have said . . friend or no friend . . . the boat would be a can of worms. You would be better off getting something that is easy to get parts and support as a first boat. Lot easier to work on something when you have replacement parts in hand.

Don't attempt to get a Ph. D. from the school of hard knocks.

N0RMND

Cadet
so ultimately cobra drives were just hated on because of a cable? and lots good info, yes this is my first real boat (redneckjoe), how would i check the stringers out an make sure there good, ill have to go over and look at the boat and everything this spring, but with any other boat that age you'd have to do the same, i was more worried bout the omc being the problem, after reading the article, make things more clear....as for the other parts jbcurt said I'm not to sure guess it would be a easter hunt lol.

N0RMND

Cadet
im also looking at this 96 formula falcon 24' with 454 an bravo 1 ? little bigger which i don't mind either an little newer also 23 chris craft scorpion 1986? with mercy 350, i would get a cruiser but would have to be a nice layout I'm kinda picky, want smothing that i can go out on bring friends an my dog, an have no prob staying on for a weekend at the islands or wherever n big enough to handle some chop, live on a pretty big lake an she can get little rough an fast

Last edited:

pckeen

Commander
Both have mercruiser engines and out drives. Better choice than the OMC. OMC are not hated for reliability reasons, But because it is now hard to find parts.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
on any boat, read that last link I posted and follow the advice. I've been caught up in a couple boats I should not have bought, had I known....

Otherwise yeah mercrusier is best for parts.

NYBo

Admiral
OMC Cobra drives aren't too bad to find parts for, and you can even get direct replacements from SEI. The King Cobra is an entirely different animal and is to be avoided unless the boat's purchase price accounts for a total re-power.