Front livewell problems

witz1

Recruit
I have a 2005 Targa Tracker v18 WT which I purchased two years ago. I can't get water pumped to the front livewell and baitwell. I have changed the pump out with a new one and still cannot get water to the front wells. I have blown out with forced ari and also used a water hose from the rear boat intake. When I used the water hose I blew out a pretty good amount of dead minnow parts but still can't get water pumped to front wells, although when I used the water hose I did get water in the front well but at a slow rate.I talked with a service manager this weekend and she said that it was probably a cracked fitting and that I would have to pull the front and rear deck and then I would have access to all the fittings in that line. Question: if the line is still partially plugged any suggestions as how to unplug the lines with out taking the entire deck off or as she stated would a cracked fitting cause this problem? When I run the water hose I do not get any water in the hull so I am not too sure about the cracked fitting. Any and all suggestions or help will be appreciated. Thank you all.

alldodge

Staff member
I have a 2005 Targa Tracker v18 WT which I purchased two years ago. I can't get water pumped to the front livewell and baitwell. I have changed the pump out with a new one and still cannot get water to the front wells. I have blown out with forced ari and also used a water hose from the rear boat intake. When I used the water hose I blew out a pretty good amount of dead minnow parts but still can't get water pumped to front wells, although when I used the water hose I did get water in the front well but at a slow rate.I talked with a service manager this weekend and she said that it was probably a cracked fitting and that I would have to pull the front and rear deck and then I would have access to all the fittings in that line. Question: if the line is still partially plugged any suggestions as how to unplug the lines with out taking the entire deck off or as she stated would a cracked fitting cause this problem? When I run the water hose I do not get any water in the hull so I am not too sure about the cracked fitting. Any and all suggestions or help will be appreciated. Thank you all.

:welcome: to iboat

You have had the boat for 2 years and it just now started doing this or ever since you had it. What type of pump is installed?

Boat Doctor1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
install the garden hose securely to the live well intake area-then allwo the pressurised water (hose) to feed the well= see how much water is coming in the well after some time -should blow any crud out if just plugged-"Pressured water"!!

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,..... I'm guessin' ya still got fish parts, 'n crud blockin' the line,....

I'd think a cracked fittin' would dump water into the bilge, so I'd not worry 'bout that just yet,....

Other than pullin' the line, 'n seein' what's pluggin' it,....

Can ya fish it with a small sewer snake,..??

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Not sure what type tubing or hose is running from the pump to the live, but how about using a "manual" typical plumbing snake to work though that hose to clean it out. If you go slow and do it manually you can control the snake and avoid any breaks in the hose. Just a suggestion but it could do the job too... Another idea would be to suck a line through the tubing and then pull progressively larger cleaning type brushes through to clean it out. Let us know what you did to fix it...

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
First question I have is how fish-bits are getting into the "fill" line of the tank. This is normally at the top of the tank and doubles as the spray/aeration function. The drain is at the bottom of the tank and that's where the fish-bits would likely collect. If there is no intake screen over the pump inlet at the stern it is likely the stuff you saw was debris that had been pumped into the hose and the build-up began. It is also possible that the hose between the pump and the tank as deteriorated and has collapsed or kinked. It is not likely broken or cracked as you would see water in the bilge when the pump is running. Disconnect the hose at the pump and then back-flush the hose from the tank rather than the other way.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
I should add that since the boat is two years old and it sort of sounds like this system never worked -- be aware that the spray head in the tank is adjustable. The prior owner may have turned this fitting nearly closed, or it may have been closed at the factory and even the prior owner never got it operating properly. Unscrew the spray fitting and try pumping. Also be aware that livewell pumps are displacement pumps -- not pressure pumps. The inlets need to have a full source of water (no air) in order to pump properly. Therefore using a garden hose to squirt water at the inlet is not a good way to troubleshoot. The boat needs to be in the water with the inlet beneath the surface in order to pump properly.

bassman284

Commander
I should add that since the boat is two years old and it sort of sounds like this system never worked -- be aware that the spray head in the tank is adjustable. The prior owner may have turned this fitting nearly closed, or it may have been closed at the factory and even the prior owner never got it operating properly. Unscrew the spray fitting and try pumping. Also be aware that livewell pumps are displacement pumps -- not pressure pumps. The inlets need to have a full source of water (no air) in order to pump properly. Therefore using a garden hose to squirt water at the inlet is not a good way to troubleshoot. The boat needs to be in the water with the inlet beneath the surface in order to pump properly.
Thanks, Silvertip, I was going to post the same thing. I did exactly that on my live well, turned on the livewell pump and blew out a whole bunch of black stuff.