Trim Tabs: Bennett 129 vs M80

rengnath

Cadet
Hi everyone,

I'm investing in trim tabs and I'm currently torn between which model I want to order, so I was hoping for some feedback. I want to stick with Bennett hydraulic tabs preferably, unless there is a huge advantage to the Bennett Electric tabs. I have enough space for the pump.

That being said, the trim tab kits that I'm comparing are the 129EIC traditional tabs and the M80EIC sport tabs. Price difference is minimal. The 129s measure 12x9 and the M80s measure 8x10. On their website, they recommend the M80s for a single outboard boat and the 129s for an I/O, outboard, or inboard (source: http://bennetttrimtabs.com/trimtabkits.php?cID=1)

The M80 tabs are marketed to be for trailered boats and the batwing design provides 30% more lift, and they claim the design is more space-saving (source: http://bennetttrimtabs.com/catalog.php?vID=78&catHome=1)

So my question is which kit will perform better, assuming there is no concern for the additional space requirements of the 129s? Looking at the specs, the kits include all of the same equipment except for the tabs themselves.

The boat is a 2011 Bayliner 185 BR with a 3.0 Mercruiser/Alpha I gen II. My purposes for the trim tabs will be to better handle the chop on Lake Michigan and correct for undistributed weight on the boat (i.e., heavier people that make it impossible to level the boat out with moving them around). The M80s are attractive due to their size, but either kit will fit. I will be forced to change the stern trailer strap locations with either kit.

Thanks for any insight.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I put the benett M120's on my 190 SeaRay and could not have been happier.

Tabman

iboats.com Partner
If it were my boat I would actually install the M120 10" x 12" Tabs. Going up one size will allow you to deflect the Tabs less to get the same or more lift, resulting in less drag. You will also be able to keep the bow down at lower speeds, which is great for running in chop.

The M80/M120 use shorter actuators (rams) and will fit under many swim platforms (I can't tell if your boat has one) and this is an advantage they have over our electric Trim Tabs.

rengnath

Cadet
Thank you Scott and Tom.

The boat does have swim platform. The M120s do look like a better option, as they still have a smaller span than the 129s but 12 square inches more of surface area. I will take your recommendation and go with this model.

If I order the M120EIC kit, do the actuators comes completely assembled or will I still need to modify the rods and install the sensors that are outlined in the EIC5000 installation instructions?

Bondo

Staff member
Thank you Scott and Tom.

The boat does have swim platform. The M120s do look like a better option, as they still have a smaller span than the 129s but 12 square inches more of surface area. I will take your recommendation and go with this model.

If I order the M120EIC kit, do the actuators comes completely assembled or will I still need to modify the rods and install the sensors that are outlined in the EIC5000 installation instructions?

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,..... I believe, Bigger is no doubt Better when it comes to trim tabs,....

I put way over-sized Bennett tabs on my barge over a decade ago, 'n have been Lovin' 'em ever since,....

It was like a 2' longer hull, 1st time out with 'em on the transom,..... ;)

Tabman

iboats.com Partner
Thank you Scott and Tom.

The actuators and sensors are already completely assembled in the M120EIC kit.

The downward facing fins on the sides of the M80 / M120 Trim Tabs make more lift than a flat Trim Tab by capturing water pressure that normally escapes out the sides and channeling it aft.

Let me know if you have any questions during the installation.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Not sure if you need it, however with the hull on my SR 190, I had to go with the 1" shorter rams. of course, Bennett will swap for free.

rengnath

Cadet
Here's a picture of the back of my transom:

I think I should luck out with mounting them being the back of the transom is flat and the swim platform is up pretty high. The only obstacle I expect to have is with the transom straps. I would just do a strap over the gunwales, but the back of the boat has a curve down. Once the tabs are mounted though, I can go over my options. The boat is in storage until April 5th so it's hard to judge measurements until it gets home. Other than that, there is a box on each side of the boat in the back up against the transom with floatation in them but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that those won't interfere.

Thanks again for the help, everyone.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
yes, you have a nice flat transom, unlike my last searay.

Tabman

iboats.com Partner
There looks to be a lot of space under that platform. The tandard with a short actuator that comes with the kit uses very little transom height, about 10-1/8? of clearance. If need be we could swap them out with ones that it require only about 9-1/4? of height.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
post a direct pic of the transom with some measurements. Tabman helped my with choosing and installing mine, with lines and everything. Can't find my thread over on tht but he was very helpful

rengnath

Cadet
Figured I'd follow up with some pics of how the tabs fit on the transom. I have all of the wires ran, the hydralic pump just barely fit in the compartment with the trim pump, and now I just need to hook up the power. The transom on this boat was perfect for tabs. I was concerned about running in to obstructions on the inside, but even with the dual batteries that I have on the passenger side the hydraulic lines cleared.

The tabs measure 10x12 (span x chord) and they are mounted 4.25" from the chine to give you an idea of size.

Once I have everything hooked up, I'll post some final pics. Waiting on the 5200 to cure before I can lake test it. I'm very pleased that I didn't settle for a set of Smart Tabs. Enjoy.