1984 sea nypmh fish and ski aluminum boat 19.5 feet

jojo1975

Seaman Apprentice
the boat has a 1987 suzuki DT140 on it I have found a good deal on a yamaha 200HP with control and all
I am wondering if the boat can handle this engine. the us plate says max 140 but I have seen many smaller boats with bigger engine then 140 on them...

jbcurt00

Staff member
the us plate says max 140 but I have seen many smaller boats with bigger engine then 140 on them...
Go w/ what YOUR boat's plate has listed

Different boat w different setups = different specs, equally likely that some are overpowered (if asked, I'd give them the same advice: overpowering isn't a wise decision

IMO, you've got 3 options:
  • Buy the 200hp if it's a great deal, clean it up and sell it for more then you paid, pay for a few tanks of gas
  • Buy a boat rated for 200hp and drop the yammy on it, sell the boat you have now to offset the price of the new setup
  • Do nothing, run the boat with the 140hp Suzuki you currently own
All 3 good options ^^^, please notice overpowering your current boat by nearly 50% ISN'T among them ;)

Ok, ok, ok, for the math wizards out there, it's really 'only' overpowering by 42.9% :rolleyes:

If the yammy's a really really great deal, buy a boat rated for 200hp and keep it and the 19.5 SN w the 140hp too

Truth be told I like option 4 ^^^ here at the end the best :)

boat safely.

Bondo

Staff member
the boat has a 1987 suzuki DT140 on it I have found a good deal on a yamaha 200HP with control and all
I am wondering if the boat can handle this engine. the us plate says max 140 but I have seen many smaller boats with bigger engine then 140 on them...

Ayuh,.... That's a Big jump over the limit, on a very old hull,.....

Lotsa unanswered questions, over, 'n above the obvious 60hp more than stated on the hull plate,...

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Just in case you hadn't thought about it, the insurance issue CAN come into play should you have an "incident". Note that I said "can" and I did not say accident. Just because you've seen overpowered boats does not mean it is ok and/or safe to do it. So back to the insurance thing. There is an ever increasing number of folks who don't give "liability" a second or even first thought whether it involves cars, rv's, trucks, or any other toy because they feel I will never be involved in an incident. For your sake I hope you do not but if you are and an ambulance chasing attorney finds out your boat is overpowered, you have a pretty good chance he/she/they will hang you in one way or another. If you have no personal property of any value then they can't get blood out of turnip so I suppose one could say let them sue me. On the other hand, being properly insured is the "right" thing to do and overpowering a boat by the margin you are considering is definitely not the right thing to do if you value the safety of those who boat with you, and for those you share the water with.. So -- that's my pitch. But why not scroll to the bottom of this page and click on BOATS under the Boat Manufacturer heading. You then select your boat brand and model and ask your question in that forum. I think you know what the answer will be.

jojo1975

Seaman Apprentice
You bring this question to an all-new level? all you have to say is its not recommended and that would have been fine.
Thanks for your answer never the less.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
I chose to respond as I did because the boat manufacturer's tag said 140 HP maximum and apparently that wasn't good enough for you. Maximum is pretty concrete number and it determined by a number of factors that you can research on-line. You also said you see lots of overpowered boats. So that can only mean there are lots of folks who either don't know any better, don't care about the potential consequences, and therefore have no concern about the safety of others. So lets try this way. Sure it will work. How long?? Don't know. How safe?? Don't know. Does insurance play into this??? Don't know. Will you get sued if involved in an incident?? Don't know. Get the point??

jbcurt00

Staff member
If the choice is to give no additional info w/ a reply of
or LOTS of info w/ either a yes or a no reply, yep, more is almost always better, IMO

Perhaps a simple yes or no is enough for you, but someone else that finds this topic and has the same question might find a simple no reply insufficient and ask additional questions

Thanks for being clear Silvertip, I appreciate it, as I'm sure others that read this Topic will.

jojo1975

Seaman Apprentice
I chose to respond as I did because the boat manufacturer's tag said 140 HP maximum and apparently that wasn't good enough for you. Maximum is pretty concrete number and it determined by a number of factors that you can research on-line. You also said you see lots of overpowered boats. So that can only mean there are lots of folks who either don't know any better, don't care about the potential consequences, and therefore have no concern about the safety of others. So lets try this way. Sure it will work. How long?? Don't know. How safe?? Don't know. Does insurance play into this??? Don't know. Will you get sued if involved in an incident?? Don't know. Get the point??

I know very little about boats, I don't understand on what they base their limits and why. Since I have seen smaller boats rated for bigger engine (bass boat and other models)

I was merely curious has to, if I could or not go with that bigger engine.

My DT140 Suzuki is showing its age it is no longer working properly, I got an estimate to get it back to its glory and its over 3000.00 worth of repairs, and this local guy here has a great 1997 200HP Yamaha with controls and everything and that engine was rebuilt this winter, he is only asking 3000.00$. so if it would have been ok to go with the bigger engine, this would have worked out for me.
Now by saying no its not recommended for insurance reasons and that boats are rated base on safety and capacity then I will simply shop for something appropriate. I really don?t need the extra performance my 140, when it was working great was already more than needed for this boat.

A v6 in a S-10 is great but you can easily put a 350 V8. I was just wondering if that thinking applied to boat or not.

Now I know that no its not recommended and not safe?

Thanks.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
You have totally misconstrued what I've been try to get across to you. It is very unlikely your insurance person would NOT insure your boat or deny a claim for any damage to the boat. So what do you put on the registration? 140 when it is really a 200. Oh yea -- I'll put 140 decals on the motor. Now you have two issues. 1) false information on a state registration and 2) false information to your insurance agent (provided of course they asked for HP on the application). What I did tell you is insurance MAY be an issue if an ambulance chasing attorney uses your over powered boat as a way to convince a jury of your disregard for safety and as contributory negligence in an incidnet. Sir -- the boats you saw with bigger engines were probably "designed" for that much horsepower. Length is only one factor. A Ranger Bass Boat for example is designed to handle big engines. Every boat including yours has a "design limit" determined by the manufacturer to be safe and those calculations and considerations have already been done so why bother searching for an answer you already know If you look at brochures for boats in the 14 - 19 foot range and some even larger you will see that two identical boats, one with a tiller steer and one with console steering have different maximum horsepower ratings even though the hulls are identical. That is for safety purposes and the difference is primarily because of the handling differences.. The fact is, either boat should not be powered with an engine of more than the maximum rated horsepower. Look at the sidewall of the tires on your car and you will find a "maximum inflation pressure" warning. These limits are there for a reason, not for decoration. And being able to put a small block Chevy V8 in an S-10 is yet another example of your misunderstanding of this concept. Can it be done? Absolutely. Is it safe? That depends on who did the conversion, what parts were used, and the mere fact the conversion is not EPA legal makes it very illegal. If you ignore that fact and that vehicle is in an accident, your fault or not, an illegal vehicle can be used against you just like the boat scenario. Do the attorney ads on TV ring a bell. Pay attention to them. Who is the first person they want you to call? No -- it isn't a doctor. Lots of risky things are done every day and people get away with it. You seem to be unconcerned about the possible consequences. If you feel lucky, go for it. Just don't get into an incident involving me or any member of my family as all of your stuff will be mine. There is simply too much irresponsibility going on these days and having been affected by it, what had been "advice" to this point has now turned to a "fatherly warning". It is not worth the risk. Your life will be a lot smoother trip if you follow the rules and that's not just when boating. Just because you have a "deal" at hand does not make it the right thing to do. Look at it this way, if the Yammy is a deal at $3000, buy it and resell it for a profit. Then buy a good/rebuilt 140 and be happy.

jojo1975

Seaman Apprentice
You have totally misconstrued what I've been try to get across to you. It is very unlikely your insurance person would NOT insure your boat or deny a claim for any damage to the boat. So what do you put on the registration? 140 when it is really a 200. Oh yea -- I'll put 140 decals on the motor. Now you have two issues. 1) false information on a state registration and 2) false information to your insurance agent (provided of course they asked for HP on the application). What I did tell you is insurance MAY be an issue if an ambulance chasing attorney uses your over powered boat as a way to convince a jury of your disregard for safety and as contributory negligence in an incidnet. Sir -- the boats you saw with bigger engines were probably "designed" for that much horsepower. Length is only one factor. A Ranger Bass Boat for example is designed to handle big engines. Every boat including yours has a "design limit" determined by the manufacturer to be safe and those calculations and considerations have already been done so why bother searching for an answer you already know If you look at brochures for boats in the 14 - 19 foot range and some even larger you will see that two identical boats, one with a tiller steer and one with console steering have different maximum horsepower ratings even though the hulls are identical. That is for safety purposes and the difference is primarily because of the handling differences.. The fact is, either boat should not be powered with an engine of more than the maximum rated horsepower. Look at the sidewall of the tires on your car and you will find a "maximum inflation pressure" warning. These limits are there for a reason, not for decoration. And being able to put a small block Chevy V8 in an S-10 is yet another example of your misunderstanding of this concept. Can it be done? Absolutely. Is it safe? That depends on who did the conversion, what parts were used, and the mere fact the conversion is not EPA legal makes it very illegal. If you ignore that fact and that vehicle is in an accident, your fault or not, an illegal vehicle can be used against you just like the boat scenario. Do the attorney ads on TV ring a bell. Pay attention to them. Who is the first person they want you to call? No -- it isn't a doctor. Lots of risky things are done every day and people get away with it. You seem to be unconcerned about the possible consequences. If you feel lucky, go for it. Just don't get into an incident involving me or any member of my family as all of your stuff will be mine. There is simply too much irresponsibility going on these days and having been affected by it, what had been "advice" to this point has now turned to a "fatherly warning". It is not worth the risk. Your life will be a lot smoother trip if you follow the rules and that's not just when boating. Just because you have a "deal" at hand does not make it the right thing to do. Look at it this way, if the Yammy is a deal at $3000, buy it and resell it for a profit. Then buy a good/rebuilt 140 and be happy.

if I was not concern with the consequences, HAS YOU PUT IT, I would have purchase it, and put it on with out regards, if I am asking, it is because I want to understand more about boats and why, where those rating comes from.
I would ratter have a 115hp and use less gas then having a 200hp. and I am not looking to over power my vehicle, hell that 140 was already more then needed for this boat if you ask me.
safety is important to me, that is why I did not just go out and get that engine and put it on my boat.
the information you have provided is great, but you go a bit to far, you are almost accusing me of being irresponsible stupid and unconcerned about myself and others... maybe on question such has mine you should just say ''No'' its not recommended because of safety issue on the boats and insurance reasons ect and you can give a few more info in that matter, there are no need to attack people or make them feels like jerks with out knowing them just based on a legit question about some info that they don't know... anyway, thanks again but you do come out a bit arch