VIP FISh and SKI boat

Fishermen Steve

Seaman Apprentice
I now have the opportunity to buy a vip fish and ski boat. I don't know a lot about this manufactured brand of boats. Are any of you familiar with these? Are they
a well built boat? Are parts readily available? Any help from you pro's is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Steve

Attachments

• photo215784.jpg
    photo215784.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 0

jbcurt00

Staff member
Condition condition condition of the boat and motor

Outboard parts are available

southkogs

Staff member
Mid-line boat that's designed to fit both fishing and family fun - meaning it does neither exceptionally well, and both marginally well :) Lots of 'em on the water down by me. In good shape, if the layout works for you they can be fine boats.

As JB says, it's all about condition in used boats. A lower end manufactured boat that was well cared for will be a much better buy than a hand-crafted beauty left sittin' under a tree for decades.

Welcome aboard.

Fishermen Steve

Seaman Apprentice
The owner sent me more photos and I didn't like the lay out out/floor plan. There's five of us in our family so it doesn't fit in with what I'm looking for. Thanks for the advice and welcome.

Steve

southkogs

Staff member
Those shallow bass boat type hulls are tough for space. What are you planning on using the boat for mostly?

Fishermen Steve

Seaman Apprentice
I planned on using it for my family (tubeing, skiing, cruizes,) and fishing. There's five us in our family so I need to stick with something I can get on to large lakes and ponds. I live in vermont and the largest lake is Champlain. I won't be going there hardly at all.

southkogs

Staff member
With 5 on board and doing more water sports and runnin' - occasionally fishing (if I follow your order right), look for something about 18'. And I would lean toward a buncha' power behind it. That'll cost you some in fuel economy, but not enough to be a killer. Don't fret about who manufactured the boat, look at condition and at the power behind it.

THIS topic is pure gold when shopping for a boat. You may also want to rent a boat or two (if you have that available) to try 'em out and see what you like and don't like about 'em.

The boats I'm gonna' link to here are not suggestions, just examples: a boat like THIS would accommodate 5 people and would be a nice type of boat to fish from, but wouldn't do well for comfort or skiing/tubing. (You can kinda' tube behind anything.) Dunno' if the shirtless model comes with the boat or not - buy at your own risk :D

Something like THIS one, would still accommodate 5, be a little more comfortable, better at fishing than other stuff but would pull a skier or tube okay.

A boat like THIS one or THIS one is the most common thing people are getting. It's more comfortable than the others and should have good power for pulling a skier or tube with 5 people on board. It's not gonna' be designed to fish off of, so it's a little inconvenient in some senses ... but then again, the fish really don't care what ya' haul 'em up into, right? We fish off my bow rider rather regularly. It's just not the boat's forte.

My boat is a 17' and we usually go out with 5 people (two adults, three teenagers) and 2 dogs. We're not cramped in, but we don't have a ton of space left over either. At the same time, I trailer my boat and the 17' will fit right in the garage with no trouble so it makes a very convenient boat to have around - so we use it a lot more.

All kinds of stuff to consider as you start lookin'.

Fishermen Steve

Seaman Apprentice
I have owned four boats in the past. The first was a fourteen foot Mirrow Craft with a 9.9 Johnson. That was a great little fishing boat.The second was a bayliner back in 1998 with a Force engine, and never again!! The third was a 2000 sixteen foot Sylvan expedition with a 50hp Mercury. That was a great boat. I loved it. The third was a fourteen foot MFG. Put in a new floor, seats, and a 35hp Mercury. Great engine, crappy boat! All these boats Ive owned and sold.

I have read the boat buyers guide before and it's a great! I'm mainley interested in boats between 16-18ft. My kids range from 4-11 years old. Tubeing is more there speed. I also want to use this next boat to bring my buddies fishing as well. I will be fishing ponds and lake rangeing in size from 60-1000 acres. I have a budget of $2500.00 max. I know its not much but its all I have and I'm darn glad to have it.

I really like this boat.

southkogs

Staff member
I like both of those boats. I don't know enough about the Mariner Outboards to tell you how good they are, but my impression is they're a sub-brand of Mercury. Young kids and tubing will do fine on those boats - and I actually like skiing behind the Glastron hulls like that. Especially if you're not being serious about skiing, and just having fun, then those hulls are fine.

You might be a little crowded with a full load, but it'll trailer and store easy. We had a 15' when my kids were younger and it was okay. 115HP will be fine, but with a full load on board may work a little to get a skier out of the water fast. We used to have 3 on board, and one on 2 skis behind a 15 with a 65HP. It didn't pull ya' up fast, but it pulled ya' up.

Fishermen Steve

Seaman Apprentice
I prolly should stay away from the one that has no spark, but some how I think I can get it running with not much time or effort. I don't mind getting my hands dirty, besides it looks like a fun challenge for me.

Steve

Last edited:

southkogs

Staff member
I wouldn't buy either without a water test. Run 'em first. A boat that doesn't run is a buoy ... all yer' doing is buying someone else's problem. Personally, I wouldn't risk $1,500 on it. A few hundred if the hull was in good shape might be worth the risk, but factor in buying a new outboard ... just in case it isn't a spark issue.

The '83 looks better cared for from the pictures.

Fishermen Steve

Seaman Apprentice
It's hard to fight the "fix it" in me. I know I need to stay away from the broke ones. I just hope the weather warms up soon! Thanks for the advice.

Steve

southkogs

Staff member
It's hard to fight the "fix it" in me...
Fix it is no problem - for the right price. Take that motor off the boat and think about how much you'd be willing to pay for it. Then take the motor that doesn't work and figure out how much you'd be willing to pay for it.

Motorless boat price + broke motor price = worth risking "fix it" price.

I got one of my boats that way. I just think "Motorless boat + broke motor" doesn't equal $1,500 in that craigslist ad :)

Fishermen Steve

Seaman Apprentice
I do enough about boats to be dangerous, and by dangerous I mean enough to get into trouble! Lol. I've talked to the owner and he said the boat is in great condition, and the trailer is good to. Just the motor has no spark. I have no idea what the worth is for just boat and trailer? I got advise earlier to stay away from this one as well as from you and that's what I'm finally going to do.

I've talked to the owner of the other Glastron boat and he's got all the paper work that he got things fixed on the engine and had it winterized by the local marina that proves it was working.

I really appreciate yours and everyone's advise on what I should do.

Steve

southkogs

Staff member
That one looked better all around anyway - worth a look. And I think you'll like it better than you would have the VIP.

Good luck with it.

Maclin

Admiral
A non-running boat is not quite like a non-running older (non-computer) car. Way more things can be wrong in a boat whether it is OB or I/O, and way more expensive usually, especially for the non-initiated. Most times a non-running boat should be priced almost as an empty hull with controls.

Mariners are good engines, parts are available and most Mercury shops can deal with the Mariner also. I have an all original 1979 and 1/2 model Mariner 90 on an all original 1980 Glastron SSV167, very nice combo. The thing runs great and has been a great addition to our family. Mine is a fish and ski so had the pedestal mount and pedestal and seat, and mount/wiring for Fish finder and mount/wiring/footfeed and trolling motor and secondary battery mounting spot. I do not fish so I demounted all that (kept pedestal and seat) and let my brother have it for his creek boat.

I guess I am partial to the Glastron you presented that is running now, but with an on the water test. Hard to do now I know, and may cost more later, but for the novice I think it is best to start with a known-condition running boat.

Fishermen Steve

Seaman Apprentice
I guess to prevent all kinds of headaches for me, I should buy a used one from a dealer.

Steve

southkogs

Staff member
I guess to prevent all kinds of headaches for me, I should buy a used one from a dealer.

Steve
Actually, I never have. My parents and my brother have, but I've bought all mine private sale. It depends on what works for you, where the deal is and what you feel confident in. A dealer can swindle ya' as fast as brother Bob down the street.

One piece of advice is if you can find a marine tech or a surveyor who you can pay (depending the sale price a surveyor may be a little much) to help you look over a potential buy, that might be worth it for ya' - from a dealer or not.

Fishermen Steve

Seaman Apprentice
Never thought of that. I know a couple of folks I could ask to come along on my search. Thanks.

Steve