FourWinns power anchor install

hotspot2

Recruit
I have a 1990 FourWinns Freedom 195 (cuddy cabin) and would like to install a power anchor. I think I have a plan for it, but it would include adding a bow platform (pulpit) to support the anchor davit.

Has anyone successfully installed a power anchor on a FourWinns cuddy cabin style boat? Also, does anyone know where i might find a pulpit compatible with my old FourWinns? Any help / ideas will be appreciated.

Bondo

Staff member
I have a 1990 FourWinns Freedom 195 (cuddy cabin) and would like to install a power anchor. I think I have a plan for it, but it would include adding a bow platform (pulpit) to support the anchor davit.

Has anyone successfully installed a power anchor on a FourWinns cuddy cabin style boat? Also, does anyone know where i might find a pulpit compatible with my old FourWinns? Any help / ideas will be appreciated.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... My guess is, yer gonna have to fabricate the whole shebang,....

Yer hull is pretty small for a powered anchor davit,....

shrew

Lieutenant
You may be assuming that everyone understands what you mean by 'Power Anchor'. Are you referring to a Windlass? Or is this a specific product, like a 'Power Pole', which is a brand name?

hotspot2

Recruit
Windlass would be proper term. figured there would be some fabrication required and more than willing to tackle that. saw a Larson 220 (guessing a 2000-2004 model) that had a pulpit. Looked like it was a bolt on part. Thinking if I could find a similar part I could adapt to my hull shape. Thinking that I could locate windlass either over or in current anchor locker and dump anchor line either into anchor locker or into cabin. Will get some photos tomorrow and post them here.

Appreciate any suggestions or ideas. My old body is objecting to crawl through cabin and out hatch to get to anchor. Didn't seem to be a big problem in 1990 when I got the boat... .

shrew

Lieutenant
Your not going to want to dump wet anchor line into the cabin. You're going to want to dump the anchor line into the anchor locker. More importantly, you're going to need a bow roller at the least, though it would be easier with a bow pulpit and a bow roller. I took at look at this model, it looks like the anchor locker has a deck hatch and is accessible from the deck. The running light looks like it is a single, bow mounted light.

Honestly, rigging this vessel with a bow roller, bow roller and pulpit and a windlass is going to be a sizable task. To be done properly won't be cheap.

hotspot2

Recruit
Your description of hull on my FourWinns is accurate. Thought possibly a MinnKota style anchor winch deck mounted either at or behind anchor locker location. Would then need pulpit/deck platform/extension to mount roller forward of current bow. Running light wold have to be relocated, but I don't see that as a big challenge. Biggest question i have is where I might find pulpit / bow platform. Have about $750 in budget for this project and am willing / capable of modifying and or fabricating bow extension. Saw a suitable pulpit platform on a early Larson 220. Looks like a bolt on and if I could find similar item I think this would be doable.

Bondo

Staff member
Your description of hull on my FourWinns is accurate. Thought possibly a MinnKota style anchor winch deck mounted either at or behind anchor locker location. Would then need pulpit/deck platform/extension to mount roller forward of current bow. Running light wold have to be relocated, but I don't see that as a big challenge. Biggest question i have is where I might find pulpit / bow platform. Have about $750 in budget for this project and am willing / capable of modifying and or fabricating bow extension. Saw a suitable pulpit platform on a early Larson 220. Looks like a bolt on and if I could find similar item I think this would be doable.

Ayuh,..... Next step is pick a material,.....

I've got 1 out back made of a big ole chunk of some sorta hardwood, off an ole High-Liner 222 Gipsy,.....

I cut, 'n weld aluminum, so I might go that way,....

SSteel is also an option,....

Look 'round, 'n when ya see something ya Like,... Fab up a copy that fits yer hull, 'n hardware,....