Is a 40hp 4stroke too heavy for my basstracker II

1gumbi

Cadet
I have a 1979 basstracker II and I'm looking for a new motor. I wanted to put a 2013 40hp 4 stroke mercury on it but was worried about the weight. My old 40hp 2str only weighed in at 156lbs the new 40hp weighs 216 lbs I'm worried I'll sink my little 16ft basstracker II. Here is a link to my boat Its hull weight is 575lbs. I was looking at getting a new 2006 15el mercury but was worried it would be to small. Can anyone help me decide which way to go?

http://bassfishingarchives.com/retro-ads/the-beginning-of-packaged-boats

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome gumbi. Moved this to a better place to get answers.

If 60 pounds is going to sink your boat, your have far more serious problems to fix first. That's only one or two good sized catfish. :joyous:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Since your boat is rated for a 60hp, what does a 1979 +/- 60hp 2stroke weigh? I'd bet more then the 40 does.

As long as the hull and transom are sound, I doubt you'll have any problems w/ the heavier 40hp 4cycle

1gumbi

Cadet
I'm worried about this motor purchase. I just went and looked at the transom and the water stain is only 6 in or so above the keel.(my memory placed it a lot higher.) I guess I should be fine. I was originally looking at a 15hp 4str and was really worried it wasn't enough. Then found the 40hp and get worried about the extra 60lbs over original motor. I definitely won't be lacking speed. Thanks for the reply.

jbcurt00

Staff member
To be clear about which 40hp I was referring to:
Since your boat is rated for a 60hp, what does a 1979 +/- 60hp 2stroke weigh? I'd bet more then the OLD 40 does.

As long as the hull and transom are sound, I doubt you'll have any problems w/ the heavier 40hp 4cycle

1gumbi

Cadet
That's a great idea about a 60hp. I just checked nada and there are no 60's but the 50 was 160 and 70=185. My transom and hull are in excellent condition. That be 50 lbs over??? Man I just don't want to make a mistake. Thanks again.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
1gumbi, if you are really serious about how the extra weight would effect the hull or the performance, take a few cinder blocks and add one at a time (or go for it all at once) and see how it works with your present engine. If your present setup is unaffected, the newer engine will be a snap...

1gumbi

Cadet
That's another good idea. Actually while working on the old motor I was crawling all over the back of the boat while it was in the water. I'm 190lbs plus the original 40. More than enough flotation. I guess structural stability is all I have to worry about. The transom is in excellent shape. Hmmm. I really appreciate your input. I think I'll mull it over tonight and tomorrow. Thanks again!!

airshot

Rear Admiral
Be aware that the newer 4 stroke engine will be slower than your current 2 stroke engine, while the 4 stroke engines are easier on fuel consumption their performance is much lower, no where near the hole shot and get on plane time that the 2 stroke gave you.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Your hole shot may really be compromised since it sounds like you've added weight. It also may affect how far you can trim out before porpoising with the 4 stroke.

From another site:

"The hull weight is 575. But I would say it's probably closer to 600-650lbs. I replaced floor and removed the livewell/seats. Used 3/4 plywood. "

ronaldj

Senior Chief Petty Officer
To answer your question. Yes the 40hp 4 stroke is too heavy
You may want to look at. Suzuki outboard. They tend to make the lightest 4 strokes.
As you have figured out. You by a 4 stroke by weight and not horse power

1gumbi

Cadet
The live well seats were 30lbs a peice at least. I'm not to worried about hole shot. I just want enough to get me to plane out and reach at least 20mph. The 3/4 is probably overkill but I plan on keeping this till the floor rots out.

1gumbi

Cadet
I ended up with a 2010 40hp mercury with 14.4 hrs. I cant believe how quite it is versus my old merc. it ran great and the boat seems fine with its new load. I had a little prop slippage if I gunned it to hard just after planing out. htanks everyone for the input.