Going to look at used boat what should I look for?

DodgeBoy

Cadet
New the the site so first hello everyone!

OK so the wife and I are looking at boats, I found to used boats one and the first one i'm going to look at is a 1984 Larson Admiral 8000. It a one owner and has been very well care for. All repairs have been done at a local marina [FONT=Bitstream Vera Serif, Times New Roman, serif]and he has receipts[/FONT][FONT=Bitstream Vera Serif, Times New Roman, serif] all work preformed. This boat looks to be in very good condition has a [/FONT]305 Mercruiser three tops all less then four years old. What do I want to look at and or look out for?

[FONT=Bitstream Vera Serif, Times New Roman, serif]Thanks for any reply's Don [/FONT]

tpenfield

Staff member
With a boat of that age, structural rot would be top on the list to look for.

Chad Flaugher

Petty Officer 1st Class
Knock on the transom to try and feel for hollow or rotten spots. Walk EVERY SQUARE INCH of the floor looking for soft spots. Hidden rot is your biggest concern. Peer into all the storage and engine compartments. Smell for mildew and other signs of water. Remember, rot usually starts on the bottom (Stringers), and works it's way up to the deck. Check the steering cable for splits in the casing. Check the hull for impacts and damage.

southkogs

Staff member
Welcome aboard:

HERE is a great starting point for you. With used boats, it's all about condition. It may be worth it to see if you can hire a marine tech to go out and have a look at it with ya', as opposed to paying for a survey. That depends on your comfort level assessing the boat.

I guess I would classify Larson as a mid-range boat ... though that may be a little unfair. They've been around a long time, and there's not much bad said about 'em. But like everyone is saying : condition is key.

DodgeBoy

Cadet
Went out and looked at her monday everything is rock sold, clean no signs of any damage repairs no nicks or gouges on the bow or the the sides. Trailer is in very good condition although it will need tires. The only thing I can find that need attention is the interior trim pieces. They are the originals and i think I would change them out to freshen up the boat. She comes with a Lowrance fish finder, and has the factory wash down pump, trim tabs and ship to shore radio. He is asking $3,800 for boat and trailer.

Chad Flaugher

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm sure the price for boats is different from state to state. Here in Colorado, from what I've seen in the last 9 months, that would be a great deal at $2,000 - $2,500 if boat were in VERY good condition. That's my 2 cents worth. Right now I can find 10 listings for boats that "need work" for $500 on Craigslist that fit the same dynamics as the boat you're looking at. It's a matter of how much work do you want to do? And YES, I realize that fixing up a $500 dollar boat means 100+ hours of work and some $$$$ to boot.

Last edited:

tpenfield

Staff member
. . . . He is asking $3,800 for boat and trailer.

NADA comes in at $3,300 for boat & trailer . . . so the asking price is certainly in the ball park. If it is what you want and the condition is good, make your best deal and be done.

glust

Petty Officer 2nd Class
When looking over the helm or the motor area, I always use the same strategy I use when buying a motorcycle or car. I look for black electrical tape, twisted wires, household lamp cord, etc. The more something has been screwed with and whopper-jawed back together means that over-all the boat was not maintained in the right way. Those not willing to do a repair right, or possessing the expertise to do it right, should and do usually have a hard time selling something. Some folks that tell you they are selling their boat because they "just don't use it anymore", might be telling the truth. But it might be because it doesn't run that well anymore.... Good luck in your search..

DodgeBoy

Cadet
Been working seven days a week so not much time. I bought the boat for the asking price under the condition that the engine and outdrive start,run and are in working order. He will store it until April 15 or the 1st of May if the weather is bad. After I pick it up I'll post some pics of her.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
just because i'm that way - go check on it a few times between now and then to make sure it isn't sold again.

good time to spend some hours poking around and getting to know things. Don't need to start her up but you can get to know wiring, what buttons do what, clean up any storage areas and plan for what you are going to do. Pull the hubs and check/pack the bearings etc.