Question About Pontoon

70rr

Recruit
Are pontoons supposed to be the same angle? We are about to purchase a pontoon boat but looking at the front of the boat, the pontoon on the starboard side is angled toward the center of the boat whereas the port pontoon seems to be straight. Is this a normal occurrence or a manufacturing defect?

alldodge

Staff member
Are pontoons supposed to be the same angle? We are about to purchase a pontoon boat but looking at the front of the boat, the pontoon on the starboard side is angled toward the center of the boat whereas the port pontoon seems to be straight. Is this a normal occurrence or a manufacturing defect?

:welcome: to iboats

Both pontoons should be straight, no angle. If this isn't an optical illusion then there is something wrong

70rr

Recruit
Oh no, we placed a deposit on this boat Friday. Let me post a picture. I noticed it several times and thought it could be an illusion but after seeing it in the picture it definitely looks odd.

Attachments

• 20150130_135953.jpg
    20150130_135953.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 0

alldodge

Staff member
Oh no, we placed a deposit on this boat Friday. Let me post a picture. I noticed it several times and thought it could be an illusion but after seeing it in the picture it definitely looks odd.

fetch

From your first post my initial impression was the toon was pointing in FOR and AFT. After seeing the pic, this is a bit more normal for pontoons. If you come up on shore kind has pr hard the front of the toon can been slightly. This is OK, see this quite often and should not be an issue. Enjoy and have fun

70rr

Recruit
Great, thanks for the response. Boating in bass rigs all my life, first time for a pontoon boat.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
If it is, it wont hurt a thing and if it is it can be sorted out with a strap and a chain ratchet. I would use a string and a nut as a plumb bob and look at both side, then you will know for sure.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I know it is my aging eyes and the angle of the picture, but it looks like the port toon is huge in comparison to the starboard toon... :)

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
It is way more likely the bunks on the trailer are what makes it look like it's angled.