Electric anchor winch suggestions.

Quick3201

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 19' Olympic deep V fishing boat and I'm getting too old to be pulling the anchor up every time we move when fishing, which is a lot of moving around. I now anchor in relativly shallow water, 20-50 ft. with a 20# danforth type, 5' chain, 100' of 3/8 rode. I've been looking at electric options. Trac has a few models, mostly for pontoon boats and comes with 1/4" rode. We anchor in relatively fast currents and vicious wave action on occasion in the coastal waters. Wondering if 1/4" is strong enough. Anyone have experience with Trac or even a better brand?

alldodge

Staff member
I have a 19' Olympic deep V fishing boat and I'm getting too old to be pulling the anchor up every time we move when fishing, which is a lot of moving around. I now anchor in relativly shallow water, 20-50 ft. with a 20# danforth type, 5' chain, 100' of 3/8 rode. I've been looking at electric options. Trac has a few models, mostly for pontoon boats and comes with 1/4" rode. We anchor in relatively fast currents and vicious wave action on occasion in the coastal waters. Wondering if 1/4" is strong enough. Anyone have experience with Trac or even a better brand?

Never used the smaller winches but several folks use them around here. The 1/4 nylon double braid has a tensile strength of 1900 minimum. Using the trac 45 will not let you use any chain. With fast water you may need more holding power. I would suggest getting one which can handle at least 5/16 line so you can come up to 2900.

Looked at the web site and it does mention if you could use the larger line with it

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I've not used the electric versions, but have extensively used the hand crank Anchor Mate types for a long time. And it seems to work pretty well and doesn't take too much effort to raise the anchor(s). They come in powder coated white, black and also stainless steel versions... May want to look at those as well... JMHO!