Suggest me a boat

Danielcan

Cadet
First of March I move into a house. It has a garage and a yard, and I'm gunna buy a boat.

Not sure what I want, but I have a few ideas. Campion 485, Bayliner 160, or an old style runabout like a Chris Craft, Double Eagle idea.

* Must be light wight. Truck can only pull 3500 pounds, 2011 Tacoma 4x4 2.7 litter
* Moderate sea worthiness. I'd like to do some crabbing, so a little old speed boat is out.
* Just enough to get my kids to 10 years old, I feel 60 to 90 horses should do the trick.
* Must have a steering wheel and a wind shield.

I have my eye on a 14'4 Hourston Glascraft, with a 75hp E-tec. Tomorrow I might be back at the Bayliner 160. All suggestion are welcome, thanks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 0

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Better information would be, your budget, you location (so we know if it's for lake, ocean or river) and your previous boating knowledge.
Also helpful would be whether you're capable of doing boat and engine repairs and maintenance yourself or whether you'd be sending it to a shop for any work...

As for Bayliners... Be careful (and ask Bondo)... They are finished really nicely and look great, but they are built of the minimum amount of the lowest quality materials available... Not called 'Bilgeliners' for nothing... And yes, you'll get plenty of Bayliner owners tell you different, but ask those who work in, on and with boats....

Last edited:

Danielcan

Cadet
Very good.

* I'd like to spend less than ten grand, less than twenty if I have to finance cause it's over ten.
* Suitable for use on lakes, the tidal Fraser River and sheltered ocean like Burrard Inlet and Indian Arm. All of wich are an hours drive from Vancouver.

I owned a 1980's speed boat. It was a Campion Arrow 16' with a 115hp two stroke V4 Evinrude. I bought it for a grand, used it for two summers, then sold it for a grand. In the end it probably cost me 1500 in upkeep along the way. I learnt some things, and some stuff. I would most likely trust the issues to the professionals and handle the maintenance myself.

Last edited:

achris

More fish than mountain goat
That should be enough for the local experts to help you with. As I'm not in your area (I'm in Australia) I don't know what boats are available. But based on what you said you'll need to look at something with a reasonable Vee hull, not too deep, but definitely not a flat bottom. You should also look for a reasonable recent engine, probably an outboard, of the brands your chosen shop is the most familiar with.. .Try to stay away from the 'sophisticated' engine, like the E-tec and anything fuel injected.2 strokes are much cheaper and easier to maintain, but do use a little more fuel.. Does the fuel savings of a 4 stroke match the extra cost of maintenance? Not a chance! And when they have a problem the price of parts and labour are quite high.

That all said, I'd be looking at something like a runabout of about 17' with a soft canopy and about 70 to 90hp (don't go small with the motor thinking it will use less fuel)... That's towable with the vehicle you mention, will be light enough for you to handle solo, but big enough to get you out of any 'weather mistakes' you make. It's also the sort of size that sort after and that will make reselling easier....

HTH,

Chris.........

pckeen

Commander
Don't know your local market, but 10 grand locally will get you a 8-10 year old 17-20 foot fiberglass runabout in decent condition, with low hours. In Minnesota, 20 is almost enough to get a 16-17 fibgerglass runabout boat, with a 3 liter Mercruiser in it, for new.

X2 on Achris' advice above. V-hull.

Couple of questions - how many kids do you have? If you plan on having four people (2 parents plus 2 kids ) on the boat regularly, you'll want something closer to an 18'. A 16' boat feels really cramped, really fast. With motor size, get at least a 90 horse - a 60 will feel underpowered when towing a tube.

Lots of choices - double console windshield, center console, tiller....what you get willl really depend on what use you are going to be putting it to.

Last edited:

Danielcan

Cadet
Good points guys, especially resale value. I hadn't thought of that.

My daughter is two, and I should have another mid March. My brother has a huge wake surf boat, it's allright but too specific in its use for my liking (I've submarines it). Besides I'm not huge on wake boarding. Centre consoles again seem too specific for fishing. It's not that I don't like fishing, it's I don't have a boat so I don't know. What I feel I need is a Swiss Army knife of boats. Something to get me back out there and find out what I like.

NYBo

Admiral
Welcome to iboats!:welcome:

I would recommend a dual console boat. It's like a bowrider, but with greater freeboard. This provides a greater safety margin for when you are out in the salt. You'll have to watch size to keep within your towing capacity.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Welcome aboard.

keeping your towing down to 3500, limits you to boats under 2000# the 3500 is total towed weight.

Gear and trailer enter into the equation.

in the 2000# range, your looking at aluminum hull or light fiberglass hulls (more along the lines of fishing than a couch boat)

I would recommend an outboard for a first time boat, especially if you go in shallow areas fishing or crabbing. That is also the way you appear to be leaning.

I would personally stay away from bayliners unless you buy one new and keep it garage kept, or find a garage kept jewel.

your budget should get you a really nice slightly used boat without financing, and as indicated, with financing, you can get yourself a brand new rig.

As for center council vs dual council vs bow rider, that is a personal preference.

ssobol

Chief Petty Officer
For use near Vancouver I would want a boat with some sort of pilot house or cabin to provide protection from the elements. When it's cool, rainy, and/or rough a CC or open bow boat will not be much fun up there. If you get a fair weather boat you'll probably find that you won't be using it all that much after you get caught out a couple of times. The weather in that area is fairly changeable and the days where it is sunny and pleasant for an entire day of boating are fairly limited. You might have better luck with an open boat in the lake district of eastern BC.

For saltwater an outboard is often the better choice of engine.

Stick with a used boat. You'll get more for your money and if you're new at this or still learning you'll feel less bad about dinging a second hand boat.

Danielcan

Cadet
I bought a boat today. It's a 14' fiberglass runabout with a 35hp merc. on a galvanized EZloader. For another hundred I got the 6hp evinrude kicker.

Thanks for your input.

mr 88

Commander
First of March I move into a house. It has a garage and a yard, and I'm gunna buy a boat.

Not sure what I want, but I have a few ideas. Campion 485, Bayliner 160, or an old style runabout like a Chris Craft, Double Eagle idea.

* Must be light wight. Truck can only pull 3500 pounds, 2011 Tacoma 4x4 2.7 litter
* Moderate sea worthiness. I'd like to do some crabbing, so a little old speed boat is out.
* Just enough to get my kids to 10 years old, I feel 60 to 90 horses should do the trick.
* Must have a steering wheel and a wind shield.

I have my eye on a 14'4 Hourston Glascraft, with a 75hp E-tec. Tomorrow I might be back at the Bayliner 160. All suggestion are welcome, thanks.

You made the right move by asking and the wrong move by not listening.That boat is way too small for your family,looking at it in the drive way and being on the water with gear and family is another thing.I imagine you will be back in the market after a few trips with that setup.