Seats effecting boat stability?

Acton

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So I bought a 12ft v-hull last spring that came with two boat seats on stationary swivel mounts.

Ive found that because Im 4-5 inches higher in the boat it effects the stability somewhat. Its not as unstable as a kayak but the boat is way more stable when I lose the chairs and sit on the bench. Its odd because sitting to the side on the bench to reach for the tiller doesnt effect the stability much. When Im anchored its easy to stand up and walk in the boat too...

Im considering buying a pair of these with the hope that since the cushion isnt 3" thick like the seats I have now I won't have any issues with stability.

http://mobile.walmart.com/ip/Wise-C...Cushion-Pads/23591142?type=shop-by-department

Im also considering buying these clamp on swivel bases so I can sit to the side to reach the tiller better. . . What do you guys think?

http://mobile.walmart.com/search-to...fMTA3OTQwNT90YWJfdmFsdWU9QWxs/sports-outdoors

Attachments

• photo214152.jpg
    photo214152.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 0

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Of course the stability is effected because as you sit higher the C/G (center of gravity) changes and with that narrow of a boat, you will feel the effects quickly. I'm not sure clamp on seats will make it much better because of the hull design. When you're sitting flat on the benches, you're actually lower then the rig of the hull. But anything goes above that point starts to effect the C/G as you have found out... And that is proven by the way you stated you can walk around without much issue as well. And that is because your feet are below that C/G limit and therefore you still have a stable setup. You can try the clamp on seats, but it is hard to say if they will give you that stability you are looking for if they sit much higher then the flat bench. JMHO!

Acton

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Of course the stability is effected because as you sit higher the C/G (center of gravity) changes and with that narrow of a boat, you will feel the effects quickly. I'm not sure clamp on seats will make it much better because of the hull design. When you're sitting flat on the benches, you're actually lower then the rig of the hull. But anything goes above that point starts to effect the C/G as you have found out... And that is proven by the way you stated you can walk around without much issue as well. And that is because your feet are below that C/G limit and therefore you still have a stable setup. You can try the clamp on seats, but it is hard to say if they will give you that stability you are looking for if they sit much higher then the flat bench. JMHO!

Good point. . . Not sure what walmarts return policy is for items bought online, but if its anything like in store bought items then I can buy a chair and thr mount and give it a shot then if it doesn't work out return the items and get a refund...

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Those short narrow boats by nature are pretty tippy. Still I doubt that raising your butt 4 " above the bench seat will make much of a difference. Main point is to keep the weight centered in the boat. Kind of like when in a canoe, kayak or even a hammock.

Illinoid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
A higher seat not only raises cg but also gives your weight more leverage like a longer handle on a wrench.

fhhuber

Lieutenant
The swivels can make the boat feel less stable also. I was tiller steering a 14 ft aluminum V hull and sitting in a swivel seeat and felt like the boat was always trying to throw me over the side.

Changing to nonswivel at the same height was a lot better.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
The swivels can make the boat feel less stable also. I was tiller steering a 14 ft aluminum V hull and sitting in a swivel seeat and felt like the boat was always trying to throw me over the side.

Changing to nonswivel at the same height was a lot better.

This ^^^ is a VERY good point!!! Drilling a hole in the base swivel and inserting a nut and bolt is and easy fix. I think you'll be amazed at the difference. But...as previously stated, you have a narrow boat and increasing the COG will cause noticeable "Tipping" issues

Last edited: