dads new boat

DJ87

Seaman
hey guys,

My dad is looking for a new boat but needs one that will suit his specific need. So he lives in Hawaii, goes diving 2-3 time a week and wants a boat instead of paying for charters. He wants a twin motor boat that's trailer-able and durable enough for frequent ocean use. he wants to buy new and have room for a few diving friends, any suggestions??

thumpar

Admiral
I think a center console with twin outboards would fit the bill. Were I live there are not many so I don't know the brands but someone else can chime in.

UncleWillie

Captain
As a diver, the problem is not getting into the water, it is getting back on the boat with close to 100lbs of gear on your back.
Look at a Dedicated Dive boat, There is no transom. The rear of the boat looks like a pontoon boat with the railing missing.

Short of buying a Dive boat. A Twin I/O, with a large Swim Platform, and a walk through Transom might be acceptable.
A Heavy Duty Dive Ladder would complete the package.

I have never seen a dive boat with outboard motors. Most are diesel Inboards

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Agree with Willie, I dive and use my 27PC but it" tight and would not recommend it, but the high gunnels help. The good thing is I set my tank on the gunnel and while someone steadies it I slip it on. Need inboards or I/O with a walk thru transom. The Island Hopper is used a lot in the Keys. Here is a link to get an idea
http://www.seahawkboats.com/30dive.html

DJ87

Seaman
The glacier bay boats seem like the right fit with layout and design but to long, he wants to be closer to 20 feet or so.

alldodge

Staff member
The glacier bay boats seem like the right fit with layout and design but to long, he wants to be closer to 20 feet or so.

20 feet and also dive, might go back to the outboard CC and deal with the tanks in other ways. Maybe the Boston whaler type

UncleWillie

Captain
A 20ft dive boat would be asking a lot.
Typically you will be carrying gear for two divers, (Buddy System),
At least 4 tanks, (two dives each), and someone to handle the boat.

He is diving in the open waters of the pacific. (Hawaii)
Leaving the boat unmanned is courting a disaster.
If the boat floats away during the dive, Or the divers encounter a current they can not swim against,
Someone needs to be on board the boat to recover the divers.

Another option would be to have a Tuna Door cut in the gunnel to allow easy access to the water.
This would have to be done with great engineering considerations as it can severely weaken the structure of the hull.
A custom build with extra bracing in the hull from the manufacturer would be advisable.

UncleWillie

Captain
...So he lives in Hawaii, goes diving 2-3 time a week and wants a boat instead of paying for charters. He wants a twin motor boat that's trailer-able and durable enough for frequent ocean use. He wants to buy new and have room for a few diving friends, any suggestions??

3 trips a week at $100 a trip vs. 3 trips at $50 each for gas, plus towing costs, maintenance, insurance, launch fees?
It isn't going to be any less expensive. Might even cost more. A 36 ft boat carrying 20 divers has the advantage of economy.
The larger the boat the lower the cost per person.

Is a 20ft Tailerable boat recommended for use in Hawaiian waters for anything other than close in on the lee side?
"A few Diving Buddies" suggests 4 divers with gear and 4 to 8 tanks plus a boat operator.
It is going to be crowded.

Has he considered just getting a Dive Masters Certificate and getting payed by the boat operator for diving?
Other than going where and when he likes, doing it yourself might not have any advantage.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
At work we built a hydraulic swim step for going between the outdrives on I/O's

it drops a portion of the swim platform down below the water for divers and swimmers to get on board.

you dad will definately want an I/O boat or something like a power play where the outboards are spread out and there is a moveable swim step between.

we deal with a small company here in Florida called Calcutta Marine. they make a small power cat that may work for your needs with a moveable swim step.

UncleWillie

Captain
Another issue is the weight of the crew.
Aluminum '80 Tanks weigh ~35lbs Empty and ~40 Full. No! The weight of the air in the tanks is Not insignificant.
However, in the water they float, so additional Lead Weight must be added in order to dive.
Two tanks, Gear, and weights will add at least 100 lbs per diver. Assume each diver as at least 300 lbs.
4 divers may weigh well over 1200lbs.
You may max out the capacity of a 20 ft boat long before you fill it.

You should seriously reconsider going smaller than 23-26 ft.
It can be done, but it won't be convenient.
Don't loose sight of the reason for this in the first place.

Repurposing a boat designed for fishing will require major mods.
Casting Platforms and Livewells are wasted space on a Dive boat.