Is there a wax that resists hard water?

Fhenry

Cadet
I've used blue bottle 3M Cleaner Wax & the green bottle restorer wax with amazing results on a previous boat I owned as well as on a gelcoat clad 5th wheel trailer i used to own.

Nothing else I've tried has come close to the results I've seen (chaulk removal & shine) with the 3m however, I seem to remember hard water in the lakes I ran immediately stripping it off.

Anyone used a product that can withstand the minerals in hard water lakes?

oldjeep

Admiral
Any wax will resist hard water, but some of the best is collinite. Main thing is that when you remove the boat from the water is to wipe it down and if the water is really hard then use a spot removing product or vinegar during the wipe down.

vans

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Any wax will resist hard water, but some of the best is collinite. Main thing is that when you remove the boat from the water is to wipe it down and if the water is really hard then use a spot removing product or vinegar during the wipe down.

Every time our boat comes out of water we wipe it down, I keep a couple chamois in boat

Fhenry

Cadet
We wiped ours down each & every time it hit the trailer but I noticed any place water splashed above the water line on the boat during a day on the water would generally be stripped by the time we got back to the ramp.

ETA: What ratio vinegar to water or you talking straight vinegar?

Last edited:

oldjeep

Admiral
We wiped ours down each & every time it hit the trailer but I noticed any place water splashed above the water line on the boat during a day on the water would generally be stripped by the time we got back to the ramp.

ETA: What ratio vinegar to water or you talking straight vinegar?

1/2 and 1/2 for the vinegar.
This is actually what I use - doesn't smell as bad as the vinegar
http://www.amazon.com/Babes-Boat-Car.../dp/B000T78CHM

What kind of wax are you using?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
all waxes are hard water resistant. none are hard water proof

Fhenry

Cadet
1/2 and 1/2 for the vinegar.
This is actually what I use - doesn't smell as bad as the vinegar
http://www.amazon.com/Babes-Boat-Car.../dp/B000T78CHM

What kind of wax are you using?

Usually just the 3M product because it works so great at removing gelcoat chaulking & putting an amazing shine on gelcoat. I've tried numerous waxes over the top of the 3M & what I've found is it never looks good (end up with light haze like there's a reaction going on).

Fhenry

Cadet
Maybe I didn't post my issue clearly enough (sorry bout that).

I don't have a hard water staining problem per se, I have a problem with Lake Mead's hard water stripping the wax off the gelcoat (including splash zone areas on the gunwale & such) the 1st time I put the boat in the water after any waxing.

I'm having to rewax by boat each & every time I return from the lake no matter how fast I wipe the boat down after yanking it out of the lake. So, I'm looking for a wax that would be more long lasting than the stuff I've been using.

Last edited:

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

I don't have a hard water staining problem per se, I have a problem with Lake Mead's hard water stripping the wax off the gelcoat (including splash zone areas on the gunwale & such) the 1st time I put the boat in the water after any waxing.

I'm having to rewax by boat each & every time I return from the lake no matter how fast I wipe the boat down after yanking it out of the lake. So, I'm looking for a wax that would be more long lasting than the stuff I've been using.

No such thing avaible wax is generally gone within a day or two of boating. If your getting hardwater stain's get some woodbleach and spay it down and they will be gone. Woodbleach is Oxcyliac acid.....

shrew

Lieutenant
What are you using for wax now? It would be unusual to remove a wax layer from one days use.

oldjeep

Admiral

Use some collinite and then when you wipe down, use a product like Eagle One Marine wax as you dry. It'll add some wax. Not sure I've ever heard of wax being stripped off a boat in a day, I have to use a cleaner to get the collinite off before I do a rewax.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
Use some collinite and then when you wipe down, use a product like Eagle One Marine wax as you dry. It'll add some wax. Not sure I've ever heard of wax being stripped off a boat in a day, I have to use a cleaner to get the collinite off before I do a rewax.

Wax your boat well some day and after a full days use feel the drag on your cap and then your hull it will be different

Fhenry

Cadet
What are you using for wax now? It would be unusual to remove a wax layer from one days use.

Already answered that :cool:. Just the 3M all in 1 because I've found nothing that works as great on the front end of this process (cleaning up any chalky areas of the gel coat. Trouble is I haven't found a follow up wax that works with it